I have a very healthy male patternless leopard gecko and today during feeding he accidentally ate a piece of cedar

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi, I have a very healthy male patternless leopard gecko and today during feeding he accidentally ate a piece of cedar shaving that was stuck to the waxworm I gave him. I gave him a warm bath soak and massaged his tummy. He's still acting normal and alert, but I'm terrified he will become impacted. What should I do ?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the leopard gecko will be able to digest that. What is the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is about a year old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wylie?
Customer: Not that I know , I haven't had any other issues
Answered by Jav917 in 7 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

The first issue is remove the Bedding immediately. Cedar is toxic to animals and should never be used and no loose bedding. We only recommend tile cage carpet and paper for these type of Reptiles.

It will take about 24-48 hours before we know if your leopard gecko will be affected by the piece ingested. I suggest a Herp Vet visit tomorrow for an Xray by a Herp Vet who can see if the piece is in the intestinal tact or stomach and if it will pass. Do not give any oil. You if you read the forums people talk about it. That is very dangerous and can cause aspiration pneumonia.

If you do not have a Herp Vet, please supply a State and I can locate some for you.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer
Thank you, ***** ***** is on newspaper and has been since I've had him. The cedar piece was stuck to the waxworm I gave him, due to that's what's the waxworms live in. I live in Sausalito California. If you can find a herp vet near me that would be great. Thank you

Thank you for clarifying. That is aspen bedding they ise in with the wax worms, n as bad as cedar and non toxic.

Are you northern or Southern CA.

Joan

Customer
Northern California. Would my gecko be able to pass the piece of Aspen bedding?

These are lists for Herp Vets in Ca:

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/calif.shtml

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califn.html

It is hard to say if it will causea problem. Sand and loose bedding are unpredictable and that is used as a bedding. I think havong the Vet do the Xray is the best way to know if it will pass. I would bulk up the diet right now and feed a few more wax worms to help it pass more easily.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive rating.

Joan

Customer
I fed him 2 more waxworms just now and he ate them. Should I wait to see if he passes by the end of the week or go ahead and schedule a vet appt?

I would not wait. If it is seen in the intestinal tract or in the stoach, they give something to aid passing. In a Mamal we bulk up the diet in a Gecko it is harder to do, so the Vet mas give some medication. We do not want it to lodeg and cause a blockage.

Joan

Did you need any further help? If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.