I have an adult Bearded Dragon. This weekend we picked up a box of Bugs to Go with live crickets at Petsmart for the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have an adult Bearded Dragon. This weekend we picked up a box of Bugs to Go with live crickets at Petsmart for the first time. There are no instructions on the box so we opened it and were dropping crickets in the enclosure. They have some sort of white square (it is about the size of a small marshmellow and is soft) that is either a food or water source for the crickets. Our beardie grabbed it and swallowed it before I could get it. I have called and emailed the Bugs to Go company but haven't heard back. Do you have any idea what it is or what I should do. So worried!
Answered by Jav917 in 12 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 year

The item that was ingested should not be a problem. If the crickets can eat it the dragon can also eat it. When the Crickets ingest the item is is passed to the dragon in the feeding of crickets.

The only issue I forsee is the size of the item if too big can lodge and cause a blockage. before it is digested.

I do want you to know the crickets should never be poured in a tanks since the can bite the Draon. It is best to keep the crickets in a cricket keeper and feed a couod at a time.

An adult Dragon should be having 80% fresh veggies and only 20% live prey. Please hit reply to discuss this information and concerns.

Joan

Customer
Dr. Joan,
That is a relief. What if the item is for moisture? I just don't know what it is. I agree about the size.
I did not know that about dropping crickets in the enclosure. We usually feed him 20% Black Soldier Fly Larvae and 80% veggies. However, the recent cold weather killed our source of flies. I am not familiar with crickets. I feel pretty ignorant about this. What signs to I look for if he has a problem passing this?

I am not a Vet but a Technician with over 40 years of working with Reptiles. That is a water supply and it is in a gelatin base. As far as feeders the Phoenix worms, the solier fly larvae is a great feeder, the others that are good are silk worms, Dubia roaches and Horned worms beside crickets. You can order on line from several places. Mulberry Farms carries the worms as well as West Coast Silkworms. Dubai roaches are also sold online. Stay away from Meal worms and super worms.

What for passing of Stool and possible vomiting, lethargy and signs of abdominal pain. I expect the Dragon will be fine, but keep a watchful eye on him.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I do not get paid by the site until I get a positive rating.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.