For the past two weeks my 2 year old RES turtle has been spalshing frantically in her tank and acting like she wants to

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi. For the past two weeks my 2 year old RES turtle has been spalshing frantically in her tank and acting like she wants to get out. I let her walk around on the carpet for 30 min or so per day, but she still won't relax
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the turtle?
Customer: She's splashing frantically and trying to get out of the cage
JA: Where does the turtle seem to hurt?
Customer: I don't think she is hurt
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the turtle's name?
Customer: Meadow
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Meadow?
Customer: I am not sure if she is really two and I think she may have laid eggs a couple days ago but i'm not sure
Answered by Anna in 5 hours 4 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
She won't stop splashing and trying to get out of her cage and I am scared she's going to climb out.
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come on line at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. If you still need help, one more piece of information will be useful.Did you find what looked like eggs in her tank? If so, will you describe what you saw, how many, etc. ?Thank you.

I don't want you to have to wait any longer, so I'm going to assume you did see eggs. If we wait too long, Meadow's life may be in danger. Whena female slider behaves this way, she almost always needs to lay eggs. Turtles do not naturally lay eggs in water. When they have no choice, they may lay a few eggs, but retain others while they try to find a suitable place. this is more than likely why Meadow wants so desperately to escape.

You'll need to provide her with a nesting site as soon as possible. For a slider, that would be a 50/50 mix of sand and organic compost, about 12 inches deep. The bigger the area you can give her, the better. You may have to move her to a preformed pond or a child's wading pool to make room for everything she needs. Be sure that you continue to provide UVB light and a basking light no matter where you put her. This site has very detailed instructions for making nesting sites, including photos:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/Nestsites.htm

Meadow will probably retain eggs as long as possible while she seeks an appropriate nesting site. This retention can cause infection, organ damage, and even death. Symptoms of a problem may include not laying eggs, laying only a few eggs, laying eggs in water, lethargy, pacing, lack of appetite, prolapse, digging motions, and kicking of the back legs.
Here, you can read more about egg-laying and egg retention. You'll need to scroll down.

http://www.redearslider.com/physical_conditions.html

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope you can quickly provide a nesting site, and Meadow will lay her eggs successfully.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Customer
I think they could have been eggs, but they were not any larger than her poop, so I’m not 100% sure. They were tiny, but a little see through and they looked like they could have something red or black inside.
I provided her with a nesting area in a 20 gal aquarium with sand and dirt, but she kept trying to get out of there too and it became dangerous because she kept flipping over.
Should I drain her water a bit and put a bowl of sand in her tank she has now?
Customer
There were three of what looked like eggs
I would definitely get her somewhere so she can dig. The trouble is that with a tank, she may feel there just isn’t room. Then she’ll want to escape to find a place she feels is more suitable. Wild sliders will travel quite a ways searching for a spot that is just right.Has she been with a male?
Customer
Hi. She hasn’t been with a male, so the eggs aren’t fertile if they are eggs. But they can still lay right?
females often lay infertile eggs when no male is present. I just wanted to check in case you were hoping to raise babies.If you want to be sure if she has eggs, a reptile vet can take an x-ray. However, with the behavior you are seeing, it is very likely.If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.