Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

Our veiled chameleon has not been eating well, and seems to…

Our veiled chameleon has...

Our veiled chameleon has not been eating well, and seems to be sleeping a lot. Our kids are worried about him. Pease help. Thanks!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the chameleon. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the chameleon?

He is still young... we got him August 26, and he was still pretty young. He ate heartily until about a week ago, when I noticed we still had crickets left on the day we usually buy more. I didnt

1/22/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the enclosure>

UVB light strength and brand?

Basking spotlight?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps in basking area, ambient temp and cool area?

Passing stool?

Automister?

Are the eyes sunken in?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We have four lights:
2 Reptisun 5.0 uvb.
100 watt daylight blue reptile bulb
Night light red reptile, 60watt, on at all times
Crickets daily and meal worms once a week or so
Kids just admitted that the supplements haven’t been given in a couple of weeks, but we dusted with calcium when we did.
Basking area is 80-85 during the day. Bottom is probably 65-70.
Still passing stool. I think it’s still brown
We don’t have an auto mister. The kids mist a minimum of twice a day, sometimes many times a day.
Eyes do look a little sunken in. He’s not opening them.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
by the way... thanks for your help!

You are welcome! The temps are a bit off the ambient temp should be in the mid 70's if it is too cool the chameleon will shut down. The basking area should be 90-95. The red light is for night time. You need to run the UVB as well as the Basking bulb during the day. I would replace the UVB with a 10.0 WE have found the 5.0 to be inadequate in supplying UVB.

It sounds like the chameleon may be a little dehydrated.

We can try a warm soak for 15 mins in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak. This will help hydrate the chameleon. I would also like to start some supplemental feeding beside trying to feed prey. To do this mix chicken baby food with a Pinch of calcium and drop a dab on the snout and allow the chameleon to lick it off.

I also recommend an automister. This will help prevent dehydration.

If the chameleon does not respond to the warmer temps, the soak, supplemental feeding. then a Herp Vet will be needed. I can lcoate some for you with a State. Reptiles are prey animals and hide illness until they no longer can. The can go down fast, so quick action is needed when you notice anything going on.

Please hit reply to discuss this information and to get a list of Herp Vets. If CA please state no or So.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks! We will get on it. Yes, we are in CA (San Jose, ca) and would love a Herb Vet recommendation.

THese are Ca Herp Vets:

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/calif.shtml

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a oment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive rating.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician