Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

I have a bearded dragon who is 12 1/2 years old. He is

Hi. I have a bearded...
Hi. I have a bearded dragon who is 12 1/2 years old. He is flipping on his back. We put him back on his stomach, warm him up, spray him with pedialyte for fluid. I believe he had stoke since he has problems moving his right side when trying to walk. What is the reason he is flipping on his back
1/18/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Please do not spray with Pedialyte it does no good for hydtration.

Can yuo tell me the age and strength of the UVB bulb?

Diet Veggies/prey?

Supplements and how often used?

Joan

Your most recent question closed and I need some information so I can best assist you here:

Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.Please do not spray with Pedialyte it does no good for hydtration.Can you tell me the age and strength of the UVB bulb?Diet Veggies/prey?Supplements and how often used?Joan
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
UVB is 150, has heat lamp & halogen bulb, eats crickets, soy beans, lettuce, Brussels sprouts, blueberries, no supplements, will not eat the food when dusted with supplements. He was very active until Tues. night when we first found him on his back.

Halogen does not put out UVB rays. A Mercury Vapor bulb does not hallogen. The calcium is needed to work with a UVB bulb. I suspect the Dragon Has Metabolic Bone Disease. https://www.thespruce.com/metabolic-bone-disease-in-reptiles-1237237

The flipping on the back as well as the paralysis is very common with MBD. A Herp Vet will be needed in this case. They will do a blood calcium level and start calcium injections as well as Liquid High potency calcium, but you will need to get a UVB Reptisun 10.0 or a Mercury Vapor Bulb which does offer UVB as well as heat.

If You need a Herp Vet I can locate a list with a State or Country.

Since the Dragon has been without UVB and Calcium to metabolize into D3, I am not sure of how much of the damage can be reversed at 12 1/2 years of age since your Dragon is a senior citizen.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Went back & we are using a reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb, repti basking lamp 150 w. by zoo med with a heat lamp. There has been no problem with his motion until about 2 weeks ago, yet he still had energy to run around until Tues when we found him on his back. Since then he is lethergic, Can paralysis strike suddenly?
.

If The UVB light is older than 6 months it looses potency. Paralysis can come on as the bones get soft. I worked with you back in 2012 with Lulu and we had an issues with MBD at that time. UVB, calcium and proper diet makes all the difference in the world in getting this dragon feeling better. As I mentioned the Dragon is a senior citizen so may nopt bounce back the way it has in the past. Also when you want to hydrate do a 50/50 Pedialyte and warm water soak. Spraying with Pedialyte will do no good.

I think a Herp Vet visit is the best you can do to help.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you did work with us with Lulu. We did follow your instructions with the bulbs and pedialyte soaks and diet. Paco also has the pedialyte soaks, we just decided to do the pedialyte spray for both,figuring it could hurt. Lulu passed at the end of April 2017.The vet said her passing was due to age and that her body was strained from laying eggs. The
vet said laying eggs is very harmful for females. Wish I has known, would have done something to prevent it. Your recommendation did extend her life until April. We'll make an appt with the vet.

Great! A Prolific Egg layer, I suggest to have them spayed. All females will lay eggs without a male, but some less than others. I am so sorry about Lulu. I hope you can get Paco back on track. He is an old man, so recovery may be tougher.

Please let me know what the Vet says. Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. The site will not pay me unless I have a positive rating.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Hi Lydia,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Paco. How is everything going?
Joan
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Hi Joan
Paco is getting better. His color is much better and he moving around his cage. No more flipping on his back. He has to have Pedilyte soak and calcium everyday. I’m trying to spray water & water w/ calcium into his his mouth daily, since all he does is sleep (his Jan hibernation) Have to take back him back to vets if no improvement otherwise visit is next month for check up. Thanks for all your help

Glad to hear Paco is doing better!

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician