Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Indian Star tortoise. My tortoise is 2 month old and he has…

Indian Star tortoise Veterinarian's...

Indian Star tortoise

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the tortoise?

My tortoise is 2 month old and he has runny nose

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the tortoise's name?

Indian star Tortoise ..his name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Indian?

Daily I will keep him in sunlight atleast for 15-30 min And I have provided lighting with 15Watt lamp He eats tomatoes and coriender

1/18/2018
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I apologize for the delay. I was not online at the time you posted your question, and am not sure why I was being shown as online. But I'm here now, and can start helping you. Toto is probably going to need to be seen by a reptile vet, but there are probably things you can do to support him in the meantime. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.When you put him in the sun, is that outdoors or through a window? Do you also have a UVB light?What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?How is Toto's appetite?Thank you.Anna
I put him outdoors, I have normal 15 watt incandescent lamp... He eats nearly half of tomato a day.

Thank you. Do you know the actual temperatures in his enclosure?

Not sure..May be 30 degrees Celsius ..And at night it drops to nearly 24-26 degrees..But not sure exactly

Thank you.

I suspect you got your information on care from a pet store. Most people do. While we should be able to rely on such information, unfortunately, it is often wrong. They sell people the wrong lighting, advise the wrong foods, and often don't know the correct temperatures for the various reptiles. After months of things not being quite right, the animal becomes ill. Some of what you have been told is wrong, and I suspect that is why Totois having so much trouble. Even though you have been trying so hard to keep him healthy, when you didn't have correct information to begin with, things are going wrong.

I’ll start with a first aid measure.Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your tortoise for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their skin and vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

You also need to increase the temps. Under the basking light it should be 35*C. The lights should be on for 12 to 14 hours per day.

You can increase the temperature by using a higher wattage bulb in the basking light fixture, lowering t he fixture itself (but not so low that he can be burned on it), or by adding a second fixture. If you need a second fixture, you don't have to buy something expensive from a pet store.If you live in an area that has farm stores, you can buy a clip-on metal light fixture made to keep baby chicks warm for just a few dollars. Don't buy the accompanying bulb, however. You need an ordinary incandescent bulb in the basking light. Hardware and home improvement stores sell similar light fixtures as work lights. You need a good digital probe thermometer to check temps. Proper temperatures are extremely important.

Okay..Thank you so much for the information..In addition I forgot to tell, I sprinkle Calcium powder once in a week on his food and multivitamin drop also
Will this help?

He should have calcium available at all times. The best way to do that is to keep a cuttlebone in his enclosure. Cuttlebones are inexpensive, and are sold in the bird departments of pet stores.

I'll be back with much more for you as soon as I get it typed up.

Sure..Thanks

Thank you for waiting. A few minutes outside in the sun per day is not enough.

It's extremely important that you buy an additional light that produces UVB rays. A Reptisun 10.0 is a good brand that does. If you choose another brand be absolutely certain it provides UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, daylight, UV, and UVA are NOT the same thing. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this because it's crucial to a reptile’s health. Without this light, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) will develop because they won't be able to produce vitamin D. Vitamin supplements are not a good replacement for the proper lighting. MBD causes a very slow and painful death. UVB bulbs must be replaced every six months as they lose their effectiveness after that, even though they may still look fine. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out the UVB rays.

Tomatoes don't provide an adequate diet. Tortoises need a high fiber diet. Greens are important, but greens alone don't contain enough fiber. Hay and grasses should be a big part of the diet. Buy some tasty varieties of hay. Most pet stores sell grass hay in their rabbit departments. You can also let Toto graze if you don't treat your lawn and can supervise well.

Of course, greens such as dandelion, collards, and turnip greens are also good, but Toto really needs the fiber found in hays and grasses.

Here is a reputable website where you can read more about care:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-startortoise.htm

Now for what is wrong with Toto. A runny nose sounds like our common cold, but

in a tortoise, these symptoms are much more serious than a cold. Respiratory infections can quickly progress to life-threatening pneumonia. These infections are usually caused by bacteria, not by viruses like the human cold. for that reason respiratory infections in tortoises can be treated with prescription antibiotics.Unfortunately, if these infections are not treated promptly, they can be very difficult to clear up. One of the most common medical complaints in tortoises of all types is referred to as "Runny Nose Syndrome (RNS)." It is a chronic RI or pneumonia. After treatment, tends to recur and require more treatment. You can read more about RNS here:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/commondisease.html#Respiratory

I wish I could give you a home treatment, but there isn't one. That's why I recommend that you take Toto to a reptile vet as soon as you can.

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope Toto will quickly reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Can you please suggest some antibiotic name for him?
Baytril is most commonly used in reptiles.
Here is a site that lists the antibiotics used in reptiles, along with dosing information and precautions:http://www.anapsid.org/resources/rxdose.htmlIf you need anything else,mdon't hesitate to ask.
Okay..I will follow your instructions..Thank you so much for your help :)
You're very welcome. I hope Toto will be fine.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna
He is improving now :) thank you...I will bring that Reptile 10.0 lamp soon.. :)
I'm glad to hear he is getting better, I hope that continues.
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist