Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I’m wondering if my. Bearded dragon. I don’t know if she’s…

Customer Question
Hello I’m wondering if...

Hello I’m wondering if my

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Bearded dragon

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dragon?

I don’t know if she’s in brumation or if she’s sick

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dragon seem to hurt?

No where we have just had issues in the past with compaction and worms

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infestations the dragon can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dragon's name and age?

Cleo and she is 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cleo?

She had worms in her stool a year ago and was impacted but we regulated her. Now she’s lost her appetite and doesn’t move a lot and hides and sleeps

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
1/16/2018
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with reptiles for 40 years.

How old is your Dragon?

Can you tell me about tank set up?

Substrate?

UVB bulb, linear tube or compact coil, strength, age and brand?

Basking light?

Diet Veggies/Prey?

Supplements?

Temps in basking area, ambient temp and cool side?

Joan

She is 2 years old. She’s in a 40 gallon and has a 150 watt heat lamp that is 100 degrees on the warm side. the cool side is around 80. She has a coil uvb lamp and it’s getting close to the 6month mark so it’s on the list to replace. We feed her collard greens although she doesn’t like those as much.. fruits, Dubia roaches. We sometimes sprinkle the food with calcium supplement but i admit we could be better with it. We feed her water with a dripper and she drinks from that

Thank you! Brumation can last from a couple of weeks to several months, We see Dragons readying themselves by slowly discontinuing their eating and then find an area and go to sleep. During this time they will not eat, drink or pass stool or urates. We weigh them one a week and give them a soak and then back into the tank and allow them to sleep until they are ready to awaken.

During this time their metabolism is basically shut down to a minimum.

They can go into a torpor which is slowing down on food and not eat as much if not brumating.

If she is taking food and water she is not brumationg but slowed down for torpor and she may still go under.

I would watch her activity level, do not feed and see if she fully goes under into brumation. Get a weight on her and check once a week. Give her a warm soak once a week and if in brumation she will go right back down under, until she is ready to awaken.

Can you tell using this information is she s in torpor or in Brumation? I am standing by to continue.

Joan