Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Thank you for taking the time to answer me. about three

Hello, thank you for...

Hello, thank you for taking the time to answer me. about three years ago my family acquired a yellow bellied slider, female, about 13 inches in length. My sister named her Myrtle. I've become very worried about her recently as she hasn't been moving at all even though the temperatures have gotten up to about 50 degrees(Fahrenheit, about 10 degree's Celsius). She's never hibernated with us before, as we normally bring her inside as soon as the temperature drops below freezing, and she lives in a tub on our sun porch. However, this year

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Myrtle?

So this year,(sorry for the early post) she was outside until after the temperature had dropped. And due to a confusion of I thought so and so was going to do it, but so and so thought someone else was going to etc, she didn't get brought in for a few days. And I saw her walking around about 7 days before she was brought inside, and she has no signs of damage on her shell or any soft spots or anything out of the ordinary. But she was completely still, and cold, when I picked her up and she hasn't moved at all or opened her eyes in the entire time we've had her inside. She had buried herself into a pile of leaves in her yard outside, so she wasn't submerged in water when we found her. We have her right now sitting in about an inch of water, with her front end up on one of the ramps so her head and front end is out of the water. How can we tell if she's just hibernating or if she has died? And if she's dead, is it because she didn't get brought inside, or another reason? She's a good turtle and I really hope she's okay. Thank you again

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/16/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me if her eyes are sunken in?

Are her legs and head hanging out of the shell?

If you pinch her back foot, does she have any pain response and try to pull away?

Can you put her in a warm soak and let me know if she responds. Just cover the bottom of the sheel Vent area.

Joan

Hi Joan.
Thank you for your response. Her eyes aren't really sunken in, but they are kind of flat. Her head and front legs are both hanging out slightly, but her hind legs are tucked in. She hasn't responded yet to any physical touch, so no to the pinching, I will try the warm soak and let you know if I get any results. Thank you again.
Sara

Try the soak for 15 mins. If you get any response we can go from there. I am hoping for the best, ***** ***** now as it stands it does not look good. Please let me know.

When I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive rating. We can still talk even after rating it does not close teh question.

Joan

Alright, thank you I will let you know after the 15 minutes.
Sara

I will be standing by.

Joan

She's been in the warm water for almost 20 minutes now, I got called away for a bit there, and she doesn't show any sign of movement and no response to a pinch either.

I am so sorry. If she was still alive she would have responded to the Pinch of the foot with a pain response and a warm up in the soak.

I hate telling someone their pet is gone, but I am afraid she is gone. The cold must have been just too much for her without having the ability to prepare and get to the bottom of a pond to hibernate. Winter is always the hardest on Reptiles and especially during hibernation.

If you have any further questions please hit reply. If I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Thank you anyways, I really appreciate the time you took to work with me. I'm also very sad she's gone. Thank you.
Sara

These are the hardest questions to answer. I would much rather tell you your Boy slider is a girl. Unfortunately Hibernation is hard and this winter has been exceptionally bad for Reptiles.

I am always here to help.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician