Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

This isn't the question I had. This is after I found out I…

.I want to know why...

.I want to know why my Ninja stays in the drapes. He has a 40 gallon tank & only goes in it when we put him in it. He seems to like it but ,doesn't seem to stay awake lo g enough to really stay there. I feed him raw fish that I catch. I found HI in the lake 4 years ago this is the first time since I've had him that he wants to stay in the drapes. It just concerns me because I have to get him out in order for him to walk around. After a little bit he's back at the drape. Is this because he's cold.

1/16/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

What type of reptile is Ninja?

I will have further questions.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He's a red eared slider
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I moved him closer to the heater with a small box over him. It has cloth strips covering the front at the opening. He stays for a little bit then roams around. Rite now he's asleep & hoping he's enjoying the heat. I do have a in his tank & he's eaten about 1/2 of it. This may be normal but he's been this way for about a year now. I'm just concerned about him trying to sleep all the time.

Can you tell me if you have a UVB bulb, linear tube or compact coil, strength, age and brand?

Basking light?

Diet?

Supplements?

Filtration?

Temps in water and basking area?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Minot done with his new home but had to get him his water. I don't have a light yet but he does have a ramp to bask in the sun. He used to do it all the time and now he doesn't. I feed him shrimp, & fish. He won't eat lettuce, I figured that's because I found him in the lake. His water temperature is 70°. Didn't mind the temperate yesterday but have a heater ordered for him.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sry I have a spout on it to drain. Then I fill it back up with fresh water. I have a picture of the unfinished home for him, if that would help. We are waiting on the basking light & the heater to come in. I just knew he needed his water.

You did not mention a UVB light which is the most important light. It supplies artificial sunlight. UVB rays cannot penetrate glass so he is not getting UVB without a UVB bulb. You should have a Reptisun 10.0 UVB light. This light will help with him sleeping all the time as well as increase the appetite and prevent Metabolic Bone disease. The UVB light works with a calcium supplement.

The temp is too low in the water it should be 75-78. Under the basking light the temps should be 95*.

Diet is another issue. he should get 50% leafy greens or aquatic plants, 25% pellets and 25% live prey or cooked meats.

I am going to give you my care sheet to help and then you can come back and discuss the information.

SLIDER TURTLE CARE SHEET

Well-cared for sliders can live 30 years or more.

The Tank

It's recommended that a baby slider have at least a 15 gallon tank. By the time the turtle is 3-4 years old, it will need a 60 gallon tank, so it's best to get the biggest you can in the beginning. You can also use a large RubberMaid tote. That's not as pretty as a tank, but costs a lot less. Set up the tank so there's a land area and a water area. Put the basking light at one end so the whole tank doesn’t get too hot. You want the water to be about twice as deep as the turtle is long. If the turtle is two inches long, you'll want four inches of water.

Temperatures and Basking Area

Turtles need certain types of lighting and need to be warm. Air and water that are not warm enough can lead to fungal and respiratory infections and unhealthy shells. Turtles must have a basking area where they can get out of the water, dry off, and bask in very warm light. The ambient air temperature in the tank should be around 75 *F (24*C) , with the basking area warmer still. Over the basking area there should be some sort of lamp that will take a 40-60 watt incandescent bulb (or you can buy a ceramic light fixture made just for reptiles). If you live in an area that has farm stores, you can buy a metal light fixture made to keep baby chicks warm for just a few dollars. Don't buy the accompanying bulb, however. You need an ordinary incandescent bulb in the basking light. Hardware stores sell similar fixtures as work lights. The basking area should be kept at 85-90*F (29 to 32*C). Use a digital probe thermometer to be sure. You can adjust the temperature by raising or lowering the light fixture.The lights that come with the covers on aquariums are not suitable for turtles. You'll also need a submersible aquarium heater that will keep the water 78-82*F (26 to 28*C).

UVB Light

It's extremely important that you buy an additional light that produces UVB rays. A Reptisun 10.0 is a good brand that does. If you choose another brand be absolutely certain it provides UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, sunGlo, UV, or UVA are not the same thing. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this because it's crucial to your turtle's health. Without this light, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) will develop because your turtle won't be able to produce vitamin D. Vitamin supplements are not a good replacement for the proper lighting. MBD causes a very slow and painful death.UVB bulbs must be replaced every six months as they lose their effectiveness after that, even though they may still look fine. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out most of the rays turtles need to stay healthy. To prevent MBD, turtles also need calcium. The easiest way to provide it is to place a cuttlebone in the tank. Cuttlebones are sold in bird departments of pet stores.

Filtration

Turtles are very sensitive to water quality. Even if you change the water every day, it can still contain harmful chemicals. A good filtration system is essential. Water changes are also needed even with a filter. If the tank is too small, no filter can keep up with the amount of waste that turtles produce.

Feeding

Feeding is an area where pet stores often give out bad information. Commercial food should make up only 1/4 of the diet. Animal products (cooked meat, earthworms, canned cat food) should make up another 1/4. The remaining half should be plant foods (dark lettuce like romaine, bits of strawberry or melon, etc.). Hatchlings should be fed every day. Older turtles should be fed 3 times per week. Overfeeding can lead to gout and kidney failure.

For Further Reading

This is among the most reputable sites on turtles.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-yellowbelly.htm

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He won't eat leafy foods. Is there a live plant to put in his tank? That may help

Aquatic plants are great and there are many he will enjoy. You can get them at the Pet supplies. Usually sold in fish tanks.

Did you have any other questions I can help with? The care sheet is very comprhensive and should help with your turtle.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I get a positive rating.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I rate you, & have any other questions will they charge me again?

As long as the question is related to this issue it is a follow up. If about a different issue or animal, then they do require another question.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You've been a super help. Thank you so much.

Thank you!

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician