Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My baby one year only desert tortoise has red or color when…

My baby one year...

My baby one year only desert tortoise has red or brown color when urinating ? Please help

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dessert tortoise

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your tortoise?

She has some red or brown color in her urine

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your tortoise seem to hurt?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is your tortoise eating normally?

Eating fine drink ing fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK, abnormal eating. What is the tortoise's name?

Jemmie

1/16/2018
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm reviewing your question now, and will be right back.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK thank you. I love Jemmie, please help us.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Anna, I'm not working currently so I need to do it this way please
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm in AZ, so the weather is mild
The request for phone calls is computer- generated - it doesn't come from me. You can just ignore those. I have a couple of questions for you.Is the off color found in Jemmie's urates (the white part if droppings) or in the liquid urine?Does she have access to eat any dandelions?Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let see , sorry my tablet is jerking with me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK just her urine looks funny
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No to the dandelines
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The liquids (part)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No completely red/brown but no clear either
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is eating dycondra , radicio , salvia flowers
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on some information for you, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I'm not a fast typist, so I appreciate your patience.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK great, I'm also not to quick with keyboard
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please ... Quickly, will she be OK ?
She'll probably be ok. I'll be back with more.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK
Thank you for waiting. There are three common causes of urine being discolored this way. We have ruled out dandelions. No one knows exactly why, but for some reason eating dandelions causes tortoise urine to turn reddish- brown. It's harmless, and dandelions are actually good for them.The most common cause of this is dehydration. Tortoises don't drink a lot of water, and sometimes they don't get enough from food. The first thing I would do is start giving Jemmie special soaks. Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half Pedialyte ( yes, the kind for human infants) and half water. Reptiles can absorb fluids and electrolytes through their skin and vents ( where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent and her legs. It's ok if she wants to drink the water. Be sure to supervise closely. Do these soaks twice per day.If the soaks don't help within 24 hours, it would be best to see a reptile vet. The color can also mean there is blood in the urine. A urinary tract infection can be responsible. That can be treated with safe prescription antibiotics. More serious woukd be kidney disease, but that occurs most often in older tortoises. It would be unusual for one as young as Jemmie to develop it.In summary, I would begin soaks as soon as possible. If the baths don't help, a vet visit is in order. In most cases, dehydration is responsible, but I want you to be aware of all the possibilities. Since Jemmie is eating and behaving normally, this is not an emergency.I'll be right back with one more thing for you. If you have more concerns or questions,go ahead and post them.
I wanted to give you a site that has a directory of reptile vets in case you need one in the future. It's always good to know where the nearest one is located.http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlistIf you have more questions, just let me know. Most of the time, the Pedialyte soaks will clear up this problem. I hope that will be the case with Jemmie.Anna
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh my goodness, ..... thank you so much. I do love her so I’m going to the store now!!! I think you are on the right track, it’s unusualy hot here this year.
Thank you Anna
You are very welcome. I wish you success with the soaks.
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist