Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My geckos are having a hard time shedding and when they shed…

My geckos are having...

My geckos are having a hard time shedding and when they shed skin gets stuck on there toes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the gecko's name and age?

Rootbeer and she’s a little over 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rootbeer?

My cat recently got to her, she has a wound on her head and some miner scratches on her back. She’s also not eating and the tip of her tail is very thin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is Rootbeer bleeding a lot?

No, she bled when the cut first happened but after a little less than a minute it stopped.

1/14/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What type of geckos do you have?

What level of humidity is being observed in their habitat?

Is it only Rootbeer who is not eating?

Can you share pictures of her wounds?

We have leopard geckos, and we don’t have a humidifier. But we do spray the tank with water, and we have a heat lamp and herring pad to help humidify their cage
our other gecko is eating, only Rootbeer is not
She has neosporin on them to help heal them

Do you have a hydrometer in the habitat to measure the leave of humidity?

What is the ambient, hot and cool spot temps?

How often do you spray the tank?

The picture you've sent is the thermometer. A hygrometer would measure the humidity. Where in the habitat is the thermometer located? Hot side? cool side? in the middle?

Ok, and it is located in the middle

Alright, so the ambient temp is roughly 82 degrees. You truly need to be measuring the temperature on the cool and hot end, as well. You'll need thermometers on the cool, middle and hot sides. Humidity measurement in the center would be wise. Most Leos do fine without heavy misting but the shedding issues suggest more humidity is needed. If there is not a humid hide box available, making one would be wise. As well, most don't need heat lamps (and especially don't need heavy lighting). Under the tank heating typically is sufficient to keep them within reasonable temps unless your home is cool. Too much strong lighting for these guys can cause skin problems.

I do think you need to see a veterinarian about the wounds she has. Her tail tip appears to be dead and likely needs amputation. Her injuries may explain why she is not eating. In the meanwhile, all geckos with shedding problems need to have a 20-30 minute soak in tepid water 1-2x daily up to their shoulders. You can use a syringe, cloth, sponge, etc to moisten any retained shed over the nose or eyes. You can also begin feeding her dollops of pureed baby food in turkey or chicken flavors to help with nutrition. Try placing a spot of it on her nose to start to entice her appetite.

If you don't have a reptile vet already, you can find one here: http://anapsid.org/vets/

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse