Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

I just returned from a trip out of town and my leopard gecko…

I just returned from...

I just returned from a trip out of town and my leopard gecko has stuck shed keeping her eye shut. She has additional left over shed patches across her face, which seems red and irritated. The eye smells really bad too.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the leopard gecko's name and age?

Ravie, appriximately 2 yrs old

1/14/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

I can. Give me one moment to type a reply for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh it was attached with the message (sorry, am bad with technology)

There's quite a bit of shed that is stuck here. I would urge you to arrange to soak your gecko for 20 minutes twice daily in tepid water. I would use a syringe, enema bulb or similar item to drip water over the top of the gecko's head and eyes to moisten the shed. You can also use a spray bottle set to mist while she is submerged up to her shoulders. Once the shed is moistened, you can rub the area and pull it away from the skin. If it does not come off easily, do not tug. You'll need to be gentle around the eyes, but if the shed does not slough off easily do not pull. It's very possible that your gecko may have developed an eye infection if you're detecting a bad smell. I would highly recommend getting a veterinarian involved in her care if the soaking alone does not remedy the problem. You can find a reptile veterinarian in your area using this resource: http://anapsid.org/vets/

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, sounds good. I currently have her soaking in warm water. I will get a bulb ready and try that as well, and was planning on contacting a vet tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello,I soaked her for about 20 minutes in warm water and went to check up on her. Her eye is now fully open and I was able to get all the shed off around her eye and mouth with no resistance. I will let her dry and continue to monitor the irritation and smell.

Excellent. Keep me posted if you need more help.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse