Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

He just came out of hibernation maybe a little over a week…

Customer Question
He just came out...

He just came out of hibernation maybe a little over a week ago. He's not eating or moving much he just sits in one spot all day and sleeps. Right now he's in a bath and when he breathes out there is clear liquid coming out of his nostrils. Almost looks like water

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Male Russian Tortoise

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the tortoise. What is the tortoise's name and age?

Koopa. I don't know the exact age because I bought him from petco. A vet told me 3-4 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the tortoise's name?

His name is "Koopa"

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about "?

Just hasn't ate anything in little over a week, doesn't move around his tank at all, sits in one spot everyday and sleeps. Liquid coming out of his nostrils and his eyes are always half shut....

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Reptile
1/14/2018
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 1 month ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm reviewing your information now and will be right back.
I'm sorry to hear that Koopa is not well. These are serious symptoms, and he is going to need a visit to a vet. I'll explain all this, but first some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take to support him.How long was he in hibernation? What were the hibernation conditions - temperature, humidity, etc. ?What temperatures do you now have under his basking light and on the cool side of his enclosure?Thank you.
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist