Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My daughter has an eastern neck Turtle that she puts in a…

My daughter has an...

My daughter has an eastern long neck Turtle that she puts in a separate container to feed. She want to the bathroom and when she came back the Turtle was on the floor : we believe the dog has played with her. She’s inside her shell : when we touch her legs there’s movement but she won’t come out. When we put her back in her tank she just sank to the bottom so we removed her and put her on the basking rock under the light. Half an hour and still no movement. Is she dead or in shock. Please help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the turtle's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she’s two years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Princess?

She looks to have a pierced shell in one spot on the top and underneath : it doesn’t look like it’s gone all the way through on either side : we put Bepanthen on it.

1/13/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years,

Lets try a few things to see if she responds. Put her in a shallow warm soak where her head is not under the water. we just want to cover the bottom of the shell and vent area. Try this for about 8 mins and see if there is any response. If no response to the shallow soak, please try poking at the tail area. That should illicit a response of head coming out and some movement.

If we can get some movement I can give you a list of some Herp Vets in Australia.

I am standing by while you try these things.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She briefly came out of her shell : legs and head : but she won’t eat and is straight back into her shell on the bottom of the tank. I think I’ll put her back under her basking light for now.

Now we know she is alive we need to do a longer soak in an electrolyte soak and some warm water. She needs to see a Herp Vet for some Antibiotics and pain medication.

These are Herp Vets in Australia: http://www.wolfwood.com.au/rept2.html

Once the Vet has treated and sure of no infection, there will want to bind the shell. I suggest Drydocking the turtleuntil it can be seen by the Herp Vet for treatment. One place back in for feeding and defecation, to prevent any infection.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. I am here to help.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She’s just gone from her dry basking dock and is swimming around in her tank. Her shell looks more dented than pierced.

That is good news. I would still have her examined by a Herp Vet to be sure there is no damage done. Monitor her behavior and if she does not eat today, that will not be unusual. Monitor her and is she does not start eating or gets lethargic, I would have her into the Herp Vet sooner.

Please hit reply for any concerns and questions. If I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid for my answers by the site until I have a positive ratuing.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician