Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Runny nose and acting strange. Bearded dragon. About 4. Gus.

Runny nose and acting...

Runny nose and acting strange

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Bearded dragon

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dragon's name and age?

About 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dragon's name?

Gus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gus?

He just shed

1/13/2018
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of Gus's problem. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take. I'll be right back with a few questions for you.
How long has Gus had the runny nose?What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?Has he been passing normal droppings?How is his appetite?What brand of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?Thank you.
Just started today. When I got home from work I notices it. Has decreased appetite. 110. Brand new heat lamp and reptisun uvb today stool.was runny
He seems alittle better now I have him on his basking platform
Taking him to vet tomorrow
Temp is 102 in cage. Not 110. On phone. Typing bad
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on some information for you now and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Thank you for waiting. I'm glad you plan to see the vet tomorrow. From your description, it sounds like Gus has a respiratory infection. That has to be treated with prescription antibiotics. The runny stool may be from the stress of the infection or from shedding, but there's always the possibility of parasites causing it. When you go to the vet, if possible, take along a stool sample in a clean plastic bag. The vet can check it for problems.There are a couple of things you can do tonight to support him and help him feel a little better. With a decreased appetite,he is probably a little dehydrated. A special soak can help with that. You'll need some Pedialyte ( yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half Pedialyte and half water at about 100*F. Reptiles can absorb fluids and electrolytes through their skin and vents ( where droppings pass out), so make the bath just deep enough to cover the vent. Soak Gus for 20 to 30 minutes. Be sure to supervise closely.Warmer temperatures can give the immune system a boost and help a sick dragon be more comfortable. 105*F to 110*F would be optimal. You can increase the temp by lowering the fixture ( but not so low Gus could be burned on it), or by using a higher wattage light bulb.A nice rehydrating soak and warmer temps will be all you can do for tonight. But those steps will support Gus's immune system and help him to be a little more comfortable. If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope Gus will quickly reach a full recovery.Anna
Thank you. I will soak him once I get pedialyte.
You're very welcome. If you think of anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
Thank you
You're welcome.
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist