Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

A pet store gave me a sick red eared slider. When I received…

Customer Question
A pet store gave...

A pet store gave me a sick red eared slider. When I received her she had finished a series of antibiotic injections, floating on the water lopsided and unable to open her eyes. Many of these things have cleared up but she isn’t eating and it looks like she’s shedding skin around her mouth. The filth on her shell and around her head and back end we’re all cleared. I’m just concerned she isn’t eating and bubbles still come out of her nose when she swims. She is no longer lopsided and she can completely submerge. I’ve had her for 5 days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the slider?

She’s roughly 6 inches. Looks overall better just not eating. I do pedialyte soaks and have been dry docking her in addition to swim time since that’s improved

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Reptile
1/10/2018
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 1 month ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. It was very kind of you to take in this turtle. It sounds like you are doing a great job with her so far. Some additional information will help me determine the best next steps for her.When did she have her last antibiotic injection?What temperatures do you maintain in her basking area and in the water?What foods have you tried feeding her?Does she try to eat, but spit out the food?Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She’s at 85 per turtle rescue and 90-95 basking. She is not interested in eating. The last shot was 5 days ago which I was told she seemed worse after each shot
Thank you for getting back to me. Your temps are good. I just wanted to be sure on that. As you know, she still has respiratory symptoms, and the shedding around her mouth may be a skin infection. I wish I could help you, but you have already done a course of antibiotics and are taking good care of her. The only suggestion I have is to ask your vet if trying a different antibiotic might help. If you haven't tried "real" food, you might want to do that. Perhaps an earthworm, cooked chicken or fish, cooked beef heart, or a little piece of strawberry.I will opt out of your question, which will open it to other experts, but I do believe you are already doing all you can.Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist