I'm looking for suggestions on how to get my bearded dragon to eat greens. I've tried a couple methods like putting

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I'm looking for suggestions on how to get my bearded dragon to eat greens. I've tried a couple methods like putting insects in the salad to get it to move, starving him out, and throwing in treats like fruits and applesauce in with the greens. He flat out refuses to eat them.
Answered by PitRottMommy in 3 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
PitRottMommy
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What greens have been tried, JACustomer?

Customer
Kale, romaine lettuce, a bagged mix of a little bit of everything, and arugula

To start, I would look at more than just greens. Beardies can benefit from a wide range of veggies in their diet, such as squash. I would also consider looking at herbs and other plants, as well. It's often worthwhile to chop them small and mix them together with fruits. Some owners have luck crushing flukers pellets over the top as an appetite stimulant. If he refuses, as you've mentioned he's apt to do, you can use a chopper to mince it even more finely and make a mash by adding water and syringe feeding (some dragons will take this by food bowl) and you can also offer supplements like critical care: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FKACXO/ref=asc_df_B001FKACXO5329814/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B001FKACXO&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198101685250&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16964586537826215509&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026253&hvtargid=pla-354721108704 Many dragons also like pureed baby foods in safe veggie and fruit options.

Herbs and plants: http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-nutrition-data.php#plants
Veggies: http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-nutrition-data.php#veg

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer
Okay, awesome. I've given him plain canned pumpkin on some occasions and he tolerates it if I offer it to him. I've tried mixing raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, melons, carrots, green pepper, and mango too but he won't eat much. The only two things I've seen him eat with no issue are apples and raspberries but I can't imagine he can live on a diet of that.

Many beardies live on insects only due to being picky. Don't be afraid to take him in to see your vet to be sure he's healthy if his pickiness continues. Sometimes being selective can be the first sign of illness, as well. Many dragons LOVE critical care, though, so that's at least a product to have on hand just in case.

Customer
What is critical care?

One of the products linked above. It's a nutritional supplement often used in recovery but it's plant-based and most beardies find it scrumptious.

Customer
Is it something he can eat often or only in emergency situations?

He can have it regularly, though it's often only used for emergency situations. It's wise to have it on hand anytime you own a dragon, for good measure.

Customer
Okay, awesome. I'll look into all of that, thank you again!

Happy to help!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
PitRottMommy
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
PitRottMommy
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.