Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My juvenile female bearded dragon is unable to use her front…

Customer Question
My juvenile female bearded...

My juvenile female bearded dragon is unable to use her front left leg properly, it seems limp and almost like there aren't any bones in it. I understand that this could be an early sign of MBD

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There is not

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dragon's name and age?

Pork Chop and she is about 4 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dragon's name?

...Pork Chop

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dragon?

She has been eating somewhat regularly, but she could be eating more. We have her tank set for 12 on/12 off with a UVB bulb, basking bulb, and heat bulb. We've been feeding small crickets, superworms, dandelion greens, a multi-vitamin, giving baths (sometimes calcium baths) I just want to know if should go to the vet immediately or not

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Reptile
1/8/2018
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 3 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Dragons for over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the tank set up/

UVB light, age, brand, strength, linear tube or compact coil.

Basking light?

Diet Prey/veggies?

Supplements?

Temps in basking area, ambient temp and cool side?

How old is the Dragon?

Do you hav a picture of the leg?

Joan

I provided some of the information in my question, but I can provide some more information as well.The tank is currently a 20gal Long (we will size up once she's grown)
UVB light was purchase maybe a month and a half ago, it's a compact coil - I understand we should purchase a linear tube, which I plan on doing this afternoon.
We have a 75 watt basking light and 75 watt heating light. All lights are on a timer for 12 on/12 off.We feed her small crickets twice a day, always have fresh dandelion greens available, a small purple multivitamin, and a calcium w/ D3 supplement that we dust her crickets with. We tried offering blueberries and mango but she wasn't interested.In the basking area, temps get up to ~110 F. The cool side is ~85 F and the ambient temp is between 75-85 F.I believe she is around 4 months old.I do not have a picture of the leg, but it doesn't seems swollen in any way, but she draws it along when she walks most of the time, but she is still relatively alert and able to walk.I am mostly looking to find out if I need to simply provide a better light and get a calcium supplement without D3 or if I should take her to the vet as soon as possible.
Hello?

I am working on your answer noiw. I have a bro***** *****d, so please give me some time to type.

Joan

Thank you! You have some husbandry issues. The UVB should be either a Reptisun `10.0 and be changed every 6 months or a Mercury Vapor bulb, Powersun MVB which has the most UVB.

The Dragon needs calcium 5 days a week and a Vitamin 2 days a week.

Diet is the next issue. I see you

okay...
I appreciate your trying to help - but so far everything you've said I have found on care sheets. I just wanted to know if I needed to take the dragon to the vet immediately or not. I understand that adjustments need to be made to her lighting and diet to prevent the issue in the future, but now that it's happening I need actual advise on how to handle the problem today.
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist