Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

It is a bearded dragon and we rescued it. When we got it, it…

Customer Question
It is a bearded...

It is a bearded dragon and we rescued it. When we got it, it ate and ate and ate then shed 2 times. Winter is here and now it had slowed down significantly, not eating much.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dragon will be able to digest that. What is the dragon's name and age?

Woogie age unknown but about 1 year

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dragon's name?

Woogie

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Reptile
1/8/2018
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 3 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Dragons over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the enclosure?

Substrate?

UVB bulb, aBasling light?

Diet Veggies/Prey?

Supplements?

Temps in basking area, ambient temps and cool side?

Do you think Woogie is over a year?

How long have you had Woogie?

Joan

40 gal tank with screen top. Under tank heat pad
daylight and red heat nightlight 100w
UVB 13 w
constant 80 degrees in the middle of tank warmer on one end with basking rock, cooler on the opposite end
large water bowl for some humidity
Offered daily super worms or crickets offered, kale, bearded dragon diet - not very interested at this time
Calcium supplement sprinkled on food when he shows interest.
We have had Woogie for about 6 months. He has grown about 4 inches in that time. He is about 9 inches at this time

Do you have a UVB light? It would be a linear tube or compact coil. The lights you describe are basking and heat lamps.

Joan

a 13w UVB coil light

Woogie is too young to Brumate. He will not brumate until a year old. You do have some husbandry issues. Your Temps are way too cool which can shout him down. The basking area needs to be 105-110, ambient tank temp 90's and cool side should be mid 80's.

Diet is another issue.No Meal worms or super worms. they are not digestible and too high in fat and chitin. they can cause liver damage. Acceptable prey is crickets, dunia roaches,, silk worms, Phoenix worms and horned worms. The Dragon also needs veggies to include collard greens, mustard greens, escarole, curly endives, dandelion greens and butternut squash. Under a year he needs 80% prey and 20% veggies. Over a . year the percentages reverse.

Right now I would check your UVB amd make sure it is newer than 6 months. Fix your temps and upgrade the diet. The dragon needs calcium 5 days a week. and a Vit 2 days.

You can give a soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak and start baby food chicken mixed with calcium by dropping on the snout as supplemental feeding. Uf these measures do not help then a Herp Vet visit will be needed. I can locate some for you with a State. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Did you have further questions about this information? I am here to assist you. If I have addressed ypur concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site for my answers until I have been given a positive rating.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician