I went out of town for a week last week and i dont think my iguana was properly taken care of he hasnt really eaten and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I went out of town for a week last week and i dont think my iguana was properly taken care of he hasnt really eaten and about the past two days he hasnt really moved or opened his eyes. I do have to go get new uv bulbs in the morning but i wondering if theres anything else that could be causing him to be like this?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your iguana will be able to digest that. What is the iguana's name?
Customer: Lars!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lars?
Customer: Uhm i think thats it... oh i got him at the end of august but im not too sure how old he is hes still really small
Answered by Jav917 in 3 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Can you tell me about your set up?

UVB light strength and brand?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps in basking area and ambient temp?

Joan

Customer
He has two heat lamps plus the uvb light they both adjustable so the baskig area is about 90 and the aambient from 80-85 i dont know the vvb strength or brand but i dont think its enough so im going to go get a better one tomorrow if there is any brand and what stregnth i should get. He has a big water bowl that hes able to swim in a log and a plant. His diet is usually spinach, green beans, fruit, zucchini/squash

Thank you! The diet is poor at best. Spinach should not be fed because it binds calcium which can lead to Metabolic bone disease. Better choices is collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole, curly endives, Butternut squash as well as bell peppers.

AS far as UVB light there are two excellent choices. a Reptisun linear tube 10.0, or you can use the coil, but the linear tube is much better. The other choice is use a Power Sun Mercury Vapor bulb. This would replace a basking light and UVB. Zoomed make the PowerSun MVB.

Tonight I suggest to get the Iggy in a warm soak of water and Pedialyte 50/50. This will hydrate the iggy. I suspect that he is dehydrated. YOur Basking area Temp can be a little warmer at 95*.

I suggest getting the new UVB light or the MVB bulb as soon as you can tomorrow. I would also up the temp and change the diet to help the iggy. The calcium should be given 5 days a week and 2 days a week should have a Vitamin.

A soak several times a week helps too. Iguanas are prone to kidney disease so soaking is important.

If he does not respond to the updates, I suggest a Herp Vet visit. If you do not have one, please supply a State and I can locate some Herp Vets for you.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer
Okay sounds great thank you so much!!!

If I have addressed your concerns, please take amoment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive rating.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.