Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My turtle has a colored gash on the left foot with swelling.

My turtle has a...

My turtle has a white colored gash on the left foot with swelling. The pet shop told us to keep it in an inch of water and clean the tank consistently. He also said to keep him by a window.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the turtle's name and age?

My son calls him Turtle but we have only had him for about two weeks and we don't know his age.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the turtle's name?

Turtle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Turtle?

He eats floating aquatic turtle food

1/8/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

As far as treating the turtle, you will need to drydock the turtle for a few days while we are treating him. You will need to use some Betadine diluted with warm water and apply to the wound. Once that is done you can apply Neosporin 4 time and then removes a day.

The turtle will need to be returned to the tank once a day for about an hour to feed and deficate and back to drydock when done. The treatment will need to continue for about 5 days. If the swelling does not seem to come down or it gets worse, the turtle will have to see a Herp Vet for an Antibiotic. I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a State. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Is the Neosporin to be applied 4 times a day or 4 times total? It also sounds like you're saying to remove the Neosporin, is that correct? Finally, what is dry dock?

Drydocking is keeping the turtle in a separate enclosure out of the water. He will only go in for an hour a day to eat and use the bathroom since that is the only way her can do those things, You will need to clean and then apply the Neosporin both 4 times a day clean with the Betadine/water solution which is antibacterial and then the Neosporin which is a topical antibiotic.

THis procedure is how we treat injuries. If not treated properly injuries can go septic which is a serious infection. Signs of sepsis is a readdened area where the injury is located.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Ok, thank you