Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My leopard geck has poop stuck in his vent, 14 years....

Customer Question
My leopard geck has...

My leopard geck has poop stuck in his vent

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How old is Geck?

14 years....

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Geck?

Always healthy but only feed cricketds - he would not eat worms

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Reptile
1/7/2018
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 1 month ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. There is one thing you can try. Prepare a shallow bath, just deep enough to cover the vent. Soak your gecko for about 20 minutes. This may soften the poop. After 20 minutes, with him still in the water, gently massage his underside from front to vent for an additional ten minutes. Be sure to supervise the whole process closely.

Give this a try, then let me know what happens. If it doesn't cause the poop to pass, we'll have to do something else.

Anna

Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist