My tortoise has a respiratory infection from what I have read on line. He was getting better but now seems to be getting

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My tortoise has a respiratory infection from what I have read on line. He was getting better but now seems to be getting worse again. Not sure what else I can do I have brought him into a different room where it is warmer & I am trying to controller the heat. Is there anything else I can do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your tortoise can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the tortoise's name and age?
Customer: Ollie & he is 3 years old.
JA: What is the tortoise's name?
Customer: Ollie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ollie?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of.
Answered by Jav917 in 28 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
Ok thank you
Customer
Are u still there?

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for 40+ years.

Can you tell me what type of tortoise you have?

Any open mouth breathing?

Bubbles from nose or mouth?

UVB light, age and strength?

Basking light?

Any wheezing or coughing?

Joan

Customer
He is cherry headed red foot. He is wheezing & blowing bubbles out of his nose on occasion. Was getting better now seemed to he worse agan. He has uva/ uvb 100 watt whic h is on for 12 hours off for 12 hours.

Is the light you are using a Mercury Vapor bulb? UVB bulbs are rated as a 5.0 or 10.0. Only Mercury Vapor Bulbs are rated in wattage. Can you check the name of the bulb? You may not have a UVB.

Joan

Customer
I'm not home on the way to buy a heating pad for tortoise. I can check when I get home. When I bought it said uva/uvb. 100 watt.

My concern is if Not a UVB and just a full spectrum that gives out minimal amounts of UVB, that affects the immune system. A RI need to be treated by a Herp Vet and no getting around that. The fact he is wheezing means the lungs are being affected. WE need to raise the temp in the enclosure 5* as this will help. WE need to get him into a warm soak of 50/50 Pedialyte and warm water to hydrate him for about 15-20 mins. If you do not have a Herp Vet I can locate some with a State or a County. He will need some Antibiotcis. Please be sure your Bulb is a UVB, infact may not hurt to pick one up at the Pet shop and a clamp lamp and add it on the enclosure to be sure he has the UVB. He needs a Reptisun 10.0.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. I am here to help.

Joan

Customer
Ok thank you didn't purchase heating blanket. We bought 75 watt night heat lamp. I was never I formed I needed a night light so I'm assuming that is why he got virus.

Yes they need a night heat source, Daylight bulb and a UVB bulb. They need a daily calcium supplement as well. If you need a Herp Vet I can locate one please supply a State or Country. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive rating.

Joan

Read less
unlike
1 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.