Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

He is very lethargic, hasn't eaten in weeks and now he is…

Customer Question
He is very lethargic...

He is very lethargic, hasn't eaten in weeks and now he is puffy around his neck and legs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

That would help...A Russian Tortoise.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know if the tortoise will be able to digest that. What is the tortoise's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** we are not sure of his age. We got him on August 29th, 2017 and he was very young. They were all about to get sexed, if that helps with age?

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Slackey?

We don't know. I think under one year.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Slackey?

He eats mostly dandelion greens and baby kale and lettuce. I have tried different types of tortoise food but he won't eat it. He is pretty active when it is warm. We keep him mainly inside with a UV bulb and a 75 W night heat lamp.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Reptile
1/5/2018
Reptile Expert: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Where did you acquire Slackey?

2) Does he have any outdoor exposure?

3) Has he had a veterinary visit yet?

4) What substrate is being used in his habitat?

5) What are the temps on the low side and ambient temp?

6) What is the basking temp?

7) How big is the tank?

8) What humidity is kept in the habitat?
9) What photo period is being observed?

10) Do you offer any vitamin supplementation? If so, what? How often?

1) We purchased him from a reptile store, called 'Pets and More' in Campbell, CA on August 29, 2017.2) We put him outdoors when the temperature is above 65 degrees. He hasn't been outside in a few weeks.3) No, he has not been to any type of veterinarian.4) Pellets recommended by the pet shop.5) We have a UV lamp on during the day, along with a 75 W Night heat lamp that is on day and night. I am not sure what the temperature is.6) I don't know.7) His tank is a 24" x 36" in ZooMed Tortoise House. A third of it is fully covered.8) There is a shallow water dish for him to bask him.9) I'm not sure what that means. He has been inactive for about three weeks now.10) I have offered two kinds of supplementation. One was a ZooMed Gourmet Tortoise Food and the other was All Living Things Tortoise Diet pellets. He won't eat either one. He will only eat greens.

What type of pellets are these? Can you share a name, link or picture to the bag?