Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I recently took my cousin's turtle off her hands because she…

Customer Question
Hey I recently took...

Hey I recently took my cousin's turtle off her hands because she was struggling to care for her. Originally, she had a beautiful deep brown shell, but after a lack of proper care... her shell has like a whiteish film on it, and some spots of algea (I think). I watched a bunch of videos on shell rot... she has a UVA and UVB lamp as well as an infared one for when shes asleep... she eats a mixed diet... dried bugs and cranberries, dried red shrimp, and she really likes spinach and peaches... there are no little worms in her tank, I keep it very clean (but there were little floating worms in her tank at my cousins)... she also has a water area of her tank, as well as some rocks to bask on (which she does frequently). I've been reducing the amount of time she spends in the water, and I've been washing her with antibacterial/antimicrobial soap with a toothbrush... the soap turns green and some of the algea(i think its algea) has come off... and the grooves between her scutes are back to their formal brown glory... but the majority of her shell is still covered in the white stuff and algea. sorry theres a lot

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations your cousin's turtle can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the turtle's name and age?

Also, shes an african sideneck turtle lol

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cousin's turtle?

Well the turtle is in my care now... she eats well and is in good spirits... I've been taking care of her for about three weeks now... the white spots and algea have diminished and the grooves between her scutes are clean... and there are spots where the white stuff/algea is gone

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the turtle's name?

Her name is ***** ***** and the turtle was purchased in april of 2015 i think

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
I dont understand this website :(
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/2/2018
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

Did my information request come through? I asked a couple of questions to know more about supplements and I would like to see a Picture and once I get the information I can type my answer and we can work in a Qand A format.

Joan

no, unfortunately I didn't get any requests... just the last message. The light in her tank is off now so I can send a picture in the morning, if thats ok... She currently takes no supplements... I've given her two types of calcium bones but she doesn't seem to care for them

You need to use a calcium supplement on the prey and veggies. You can dust the foiod with calcium before feeding. The reason I asked for a picture is this may be a fungal issue, so I would like to see a picture to see what we are dealing with. If you can get me one tomorrow, we can continue at that time. I do suggest no more spinach, because it binds calcium and cause Metabolic Bone Disease. There are other leafy greens I can suggest.

If it is okay with you we can continue with this tomorrow when I can see the picture. Oh no soap on the turtles shell. Soaps can be toxic.

Joan

I will be on and off today. Please let me know when you are on and we can fisnish discussing treatent for the shell and care.

Joan