Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I don't know what to do to find out if my turtle is dead or…

I don't know what...

I don't know what to do to find out if my turtle is dead or not.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your turtle?

He is not responsive and he is very limp. His eyes are clouded over and he is completely out of his shell

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There is no wound. He looks perfectly fine except for the fact his eyes are cloudy and he isn't moving.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the turtle's name and age?

His name is***** is 2 1/2 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tuck?

He stays in a pond outside. The water is staying about 50 degrees right now because it is winter and i cant afford a proper heater. The vet here told me that he would be fine to hibernate through the winter and I shouldn't bring him inside. His head is completely limp and soft, but his legs are a bit stiffer.

1/1/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing of the eyes?

When you touch near the eyes, does he blink?

Does he have any response to being touched on the limbs?

If he's not moving at all, the potential for him to be deceased is increased. I would bring him indoors for a short while and place him into a shallow bath of tepid water. Wait at least 30 minutes and try touching near the eyes and on the feet. If he's alive, being warmed should cause some response when handled. When in doubt, you can take him to your local veterinary ER to confirm whether he is alive or deceased. They typically offer this service free of charge.

.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Okay. Thank you so much.

You're quite welcome. Good luck! I hope your little guy is just chilly.

Me too. He is my baby. If he is dead. Would you know a good place in Alabama or Georgia that I can get a RES from?

RES are usually pretty easy to find. Are you looking to adopt from a rescue, by chance, or from a pet shop?

Either. I would prefer a baby RES but I would be willing to get an adult too.

The first place I would look would be to local rescues. Keep in mind that adults are going to be more hardy and able to tolerate hot and cold temperatures outdoors. Young RES may not be nearly as able to stand the temperatures. http://www.petfinder.com is a great resource to find RES and other chelonians available for adoption in your area. Most all pet stores have a connection to purchase RES, but if you'll share your city and state I'll look in your immediate area to see those that may offer RES for adoption.

Carrollton, GA. Im taking him to the vet now to check on him. I want to thank you so much for your help. I work at pet supplies plus so I know they can order one i just didnt know if there was someone better for me to get him from. I dont like shipping animals from the place we get them from.

I didn't find any place in your specific area that appears to have RES for sale (at least not marked online anyhow). Here are some online sources to consider:

1) http://www.bigappleherp.com/Red-Ear-Slider-Turtles-Captive-Bred-Babies
2) http://www.theturtlesource.com/i.asp?id=100200300&p=Red-Eared-Slider
3) https://myturtlestore.com/baby-red-ear-slider-turtles/
4) https://myturtlestore.com/baby-turtles-for-sale/

5) GA also has a reptile society and some of its members may be breeding RES, as well: http://www.gareptilesociety.org/en/

You're very welcome. I am very glad to be able to assist.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse