Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

His bowel movement is dark and invaded in a sack inside the…

Customer Question
His bowel movement is...

His bowel movement is dark and invaded in a sack inside the sack it is pure mush like mashed potatoes

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Is it prolapse

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes bearded dragon

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dragon?

He is lethargic I hand feed him he is 5 and his fecal matter is in a sack that I have press on to see what is inside I'm worried about him he's had this fecal incident for a while

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dragon. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dragon?

Just that he doesn't walk I carry him everywhere he will walk and investigate on the kitchen table plus he Vicks his head when looking at live food is super worms but doesn't seem to see them well so I put in my hand up to his mouth and he eats from my hand mostly

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Reptile
I can send picture as he just went tonight also I'm feeding him baby food now as he has no interest in dubias I am picking up superworms he likes those and sometimes tries to lick my fingers because I think he believes they are worms
My other 2 dragons out of brumation do not if he is u did give him a chamomile tea sauna
12/31/2017
Reptile Expert: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The picture you've shared of the stool appears blurry. Can you provide a clear picture?

Has he ever had a fecal analysis performed by a vet?

Are you seeing blood?

When did this incased appearance begin?

Do you know what the red is in the photo, if not blood? Does he consume any red fruits or veggies such as peppers, strawberries or melon?

How long have you owned him?

This is fecal sample that was originally sausage like I pressed on it to see inside and this is the picture

How long have you owned him?

The red was something that was in the trash I think I picked it away and it was not part of fecal, strawberries sometimes in summer I stopped giving apple and gave fig and sweet potato and squash instead but he is off food hasn't had salad just super worms and dubias I'm the later of summer he is 4 years old had since baby

Thank you for the clarification. I do think since he's had abnormal stool for a few months now and that he's not eating right now that it would be prudent to have him examined and treated by a reptile vet. I would specifically recommend having a fecal analysis performed to check for microscopic parasites and protozoan. This is one of the most common reasons for us to see that dragons are not eating well, the stool appears abnormal, etc. Additionally, I would recommend a daily soak in tepid water for 20-30 minutes to assist with hydration and also encourage him to produce any additional stool in the body. If he might be having irregular BMs this could also affect his appetite.

If you'll provide me your state of residence, I'll be happy to give you some resources to look at in your area.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I was hoping for a more exact or helpful answer than just take him to vet you did see the stool can't you give me a better answer? I due hydrate and have been hydrating since this and due to he doesn't drink
I am not happy with your response can't you tell me anything

I'll be happy to opt out and see if someone else has the answer you're looking for. Good luck.

This is unfortunate due to your expertise with reptiles. As vague an answer and not providing me anything other than a referral to a vet. Very dissapointed.
I do not know how to rate you
But fine pass me to someone else. This seems more like a call center like answer instead of actual vet.
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 4 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years. I would like to assist you. First let me explain the stool. What you are seeing is actually normal other than not being fully digested. The stool is encapsulated by a mucus coating which is nothing to worry about, but the inside is undigested food and I suspect super worms. They are high in chitin and I do not recommend them or meal worms for this and several other reasons. Super worms are not only hard to digest, they as mentioned high in chitin, High in fat and can cause liver issues if fed as a Staple diet. Better Options include silk worms, Phoenix worms, Dubia roaches and for treats wax worms or Horned worms.

I would double check your temps as this can cause issues with digestion The basking are should be 105-110, ambient temp 90's and cool area mid 80's.

You can try adding a Probiotic like BenBac to aid with the digestion.. I do want to add in the Pictures I di not notice the white urates. They should be attached or come out with the encapsulated stool.

I think if you remove the super worms you may see better digestion. Add the Probiotic and make sure the temps are correct the food will be better digested in the stool.

I hope this clarifies and explains what you are seeing and puts your mind more at ease.

Please hit reply to discuss my answer and any concerns you have.

Joan

Where can I get the probiotic?
Also he ate superworms a month ago he's on baby food how does that explain the undigested food? Also there is no odor to his stool.

A Probiotic can be gotten at the Pet Shop. It is called BeneBac. It comes in paste form as well as powder. He may still have stool still in the intestinal tract that was not digested. If he had Parasites we would normally have an odor to the stool. If you would like I can locate some Herp Vets for you, but since I could only see a picture, I can only speculate on what I see, I have seen issues with digestion many times due to prey and chitin. n, and it looks like the picture you posted. I have also seen that with ingestion of loose substrates. Please reply for further discussion.

Joan

What does the probiotic due specifically

Probiotics replace gut flora that may not be working properly or lacking and it aids in digestion to break down the foods in the stomach. All reptiles carry a parasite load in the gut and can make things unbalanced, so the Probiotics is also helpful in that respect.

Joan

How can it be super worms if he hasn't had any since October when he went into brumation? The only food I've given him is bayfood carrots

If he had super worms before Brumation, and did not empty his gut before Brumation those are still super worms. Dragons generally purger before brumation at least for two weeks prior if he ate before brumation those are super worms the chitin thhat was not digested. We never let a Dragon eat prior to brumation or when they are first going under. We advise food can rot in the stomach . As I said this is speculation based on 40 years working with Dragons. A Herp Vet can verify what I suspect by seeing a stool sample and doing an examination.

Joan

It seems you are not satified with my explanation so I will opt out and allow another Expert to assist you and give you their input.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician