Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

New hatchling corn snake threw up food. No just a pinky

Customer Question
New hatchling corn snake...

New hatchling corn snake threw up food

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the corn snake eat anything unusual?

No just a pinky mouse

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the corn snake's name and age?

Sunny the pet store didn't say her age

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the corn snake?

The pet store did say it was difficult to feed this one. I have another corn snake that is 2 years old but we have never experienced this situtation

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the corn snake's name?

Sunny

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/31/2017
Reptile Expert: Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your reptile. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.
Dr. Adamski
She doesn't appear to be drinking since the vomiting... The pinky mouse was feed to her almost 24 hours before she expelled it. What should we do till we can find a vet in our area that treats snakes?
I am terribly sorry to hear about the problem with your pet corn snake. There can be several different reasons for snakes to vomit/regurgitate. A bacterial or viral intestinal infection can cause this problem. Intestinal parasites such as worms or Protozoa can alcohol cause this problem. If the food was spoiled or rotten the snake will also regurgitate as a defensive mechanism to rid itself of the unwanted food. Poisons or toxins can also cause intestinal upset. These are some of the more common health problems that cause the signs you’ve described. There can also be a behavioral cause for your problem as well. You mentioned that the pet store stated this snake was difficult to feed. This problem can occur when you have high-strung snakes that are anxious or nervous.Therefore, here are my recommendations.1. If your snake is showing other signs of health problems such as not wanting to eat at all, diarrhea, weight loss, constant heat seeking behavior or acting tired and weak all the time I believe there is a serious health issue that is causing your problem and you should seek the help of a licensed veterinarian experienced and familiar working with reptiles to examine, diagnose the cause of the problem and treat your snake accordingly.2. If your snake is otherwise bright, active and acting normally then we can first potentially treat the problem as a behavioral issue. Nervous snakes often need special handling when fed to keep them calm enough so that they will eating willingly and then not regurgitate the food back up. First, warm your frozen thawed pinky mouse or other prey item. You can place them in a zip lock bag and hit water to defrost them. The warmer the prey the more aytractive it is to your snake since it will smell more like a live prey animal that it would normally eat in the wild. Second, feed your snake at night right before you go to bed. This time schedule mimics snakes natural hunting time periods as well as ensuring your house is quiet and the snake won’t be disturbed while it eats. Third, cover the cage with a dark colored towel or sheet and do not diusturb your snake for 24 hours. This will allow your corn snake sufficient time to eat and digest its meal without being disturbed.3. To prevent dehydration you can soak your snake in a shallow warm water bath for 30 minutes. This will keep it hydrated, encourage it to go to the bathroom to prevent constipation and successfully deal with any retained shed.I hope my answer has provided you with useful and practical information. Should you have any further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your snake all the best.Dr. Adamski
should you feel your snake does have a health related problem that requires veterinary attention, I would recommend you visit a veterinarian experienced working with reptiles. You can locate a local veterinarian in your area by going to the following link which lists vets by state or province.http://members.arav.org/search/custom.asp?id=3661I hope this helps. If you have further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your snake all the best.Dr. Adamski
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
I am writing to follow up on your question. Should you still require assistance please let me know and I shall do my best to assist both you and your corn snake.Dr. Adamski
We took the snake to a vet just to make sure she was fine. They told us to feed her more times less food.
Ok. I’m pleased to hear you saw a local veterinarian to check your snake out. If the problem doesn’t resolve consider feeding your snake according to the protocol I provided. It usually helps nervous or high stress snakes.Should you have any further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your snake all the best.Dr. Adamski
If you liked and appreciated my answers please rate my answer and click on the accept button so I can receive credit for my time and effort. It would be sincerely appreciated.Dr. Adamski