Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My iguana has a burn from a heat lamp how should I treat it?

Customer Question
My iguana has a...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Burns are certainly painful. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the iguana's name and age?

Max , he is 2 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?

I think the burns are 3 degree his skin is black in some areas

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Reptile
The size of the burn is about the size of my hand. He has two open wounds the size of the end of my pinky.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/30/2017
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 4 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this accident.

Those are very serious burns, and Max will need to be treated by a vet as soon as one is available. Here is a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

When lizards suffer burns this severe, they often need to have fluids administered and prescription antibiotics. Burns can be fatal. If you have a vet who will see emergencies in your area, going today would be the best thing to do.

There isn't a lot you can do on your own. You can provide special soaks to help with dehydration.

Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your reptile for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their skin and vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely. You can apply a little plain Neosporin to the two open wounds after the soaks.

Here is a site where you can read more about burns:

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/The-Vet-Report-Burns-in-Reptiles/

If you have more concerns, jsut let me know. I hope Max will reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist