Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I found my daughters red eared slider with sunken eyes and…

Customer Question
I found my daughters...

I found my daughters red eared slider with sunken eyes and she’s not moving. How do I rehydrate her before she passes away?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the slider. What is the slider's name and age?

She’s a 6yr old red eared slider named oogway

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the slider?

The last time she ate was 2 days ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the slider's name?

Oogway

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Reptile
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call + Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/30/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 6 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am Vet tech and have worked with reptiles over 40 years.I just signed on and see your turtle is ill.

How is the turtle this morning?

Are the limbs out or do they still respond to a reflex action if you pinch the back foot?

Joan

There is no response now. But late last night there was a slight pullback when I would pull out her back legs

Generally when the eyes are sunken in the turtle is critical. We can try some first aid by soaking in a 50/50 Pedialyte and warm water soak. You will need to support the turtle in the soak so it does not aspirate the mixture into the lungs if weak.

Next place the turtle on the basking area and under the UVB light. UVB is very important for health and the immune system. Allow the turtle to stay there for about an hour and check reflex action. If you do not get a reflex action, I would suspect the turtle is gone. As I said, the sunken in eyes is a critical issue. Turtles like most reptiles are prey animals and hide illness until it is almost too late. If the turtle responds. He will need to see a Herp Vet asap. I can locate some for you with a State or Country.

Joan

How long do I let her soak in the pedialite?

I would soak 15-20 mins. I am hoping the soak will help. Usually we do an Injectable drip to rehydrate in the office, but this is how we rehydrate at home.

I am hope the turtle will respond.

Joan

I will be off for a long break, but will check back in when I get back. Hopefully the Turtle has responded. Please let me know the situation and I will respond when back. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have gotten a positive rating. This does not close the question, but lets the site know I am assisting you.

Joan

I think she’s gone. There’s a sticky smelly fluid that came out of her mouth but she doesn’t smell

I agree if fluid has come from her mouth. That indicates she had a Respiratory issue possible Pneumonia and that could have been the reason she passed. Please let me know if I can be of further help. If not please do not forget to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan