Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Im worried, both of my turtles has whitish spots on their…

Customer Question
Im worried, both of...

Im worried, both of my turtles has whitish spots on their back, i tried using chlorhexidine solution and dried off my turtles but it doesnt work, they said using povidone would be much better but im afraid to use it as its very strong. currently they are very active and eats quite a lot, i have a basking area for them, and only the male is basking, but its the male that has the worst spots on the shell.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your turtle?

I have a male and female red eared sliders, male is about 5 inches long and female about 7 inches. in a 67 gallon aquarium. i know its abit small but im living in an apartment, so i cant have a 100 gallon tank in or it would collapse my building

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Reptile
12/29/2017
Reptile Expert: Scott Perry, Reptile Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Reptile Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you are observing white spots on the shell of your turtles. Are these spots weeping? Any odor from the sites? This particular issue is usually a concern of water quality. The first recommendation would be to measure the water parameters for nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, etc. Correct those abnormalities and monitor the shell for improvement over 2-4 weeks. There is not likely any need for a cleanser at this time. Let me know the answers to the questions above, but likely, the water quality is the issue.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry