Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My Mississippi map turtle keeps twitching uncontrollably and…

My Mississippi map turtle...

My Mississippi map turtle keeps twitching uncontrollably and he's not moving

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the turtle. What is the turtle's name and age?

He's name is ***** ***** he's 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jeb?

He hasn't eaten in weeks and now another turtle in his tank has stopped eating and is floating around not moving

12/27/2017
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Can you tell me do you have a UVB light, strength and age of bulb?

Do you feed any supplements?

How long has this been going on?

Joan

I believe the bulb is a 60 watt and is 1 - 2 weeks old.
No.
He has been shaking/twitching for 40 minutes and hasn't really moved in a week.

The UVB would be la 5.0 or 10.0 and would be a long tube or a coied bulb. A 60 watt would be a Basking lamp. Is that the only bulb you have? This is very important.

Joan

the people at pet smart recommended that it would work for both and it's been like that for a while

I think they either gave you the wrong bulb or it is only good for 6 months. The UVB bulb works with a dalily calcium supplement to prevent Metaboliz Bone Disease.:

https://www.thespruce.com/metabolic-bone-disease-in-reptiles-1237237

I suspect that is what is happening, but it did not just start. THe MBD happens over time from the body not metabolizing calcium into D3 in the boy. One of the first signs is twitching and swizures, We need to get your turtle under a good UVB light and try and get some calcium into him. The best way for tonight is to get him in a warm soak with some calcium in it. Reptiles can absorb fluids through the sin and vent area, so the warm soak with calcium may help. Once the soak is done he needs to be put under a UVB light within 12" to work on metabolizing the calcium.

He will need to see a Herp Vet tomorrow to confirm my suspicions and if I am correct they will start him on calcium injections.

I suggest if this is the case, to pick up a Mercury Vapor bulb called a Powersun bulb. This puts out the greatest amount of UVB to stop the MBD. I gave a link above for you to read about it. When feeding you can use Phoenix worms and earth worms which are both high in calcium.

If you do not have a Herp Vet I can locate some with a State. If CA please say north or south.

Joan

I am in Illinois

These are Herp Vets in IL:

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/illinois.shtml

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/illinois.html

If you have questions hit reply. If I have addressed your concern, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive rating.

Joan

What should I put in the the water for the calcium soak

You should have a powdered calcim supplement. If you do not have a jar of calcium just do the warm soak. It may help calcm him, but if I am correct you need the calcium.

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Calciumcarb.html

If you do not have the calcium you could crush rolaids, tums or a human calcium tablet.

Joan

Did you have further questions I can help with?

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
No, thank you