Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My male was trying to mate with our female I don't want

Customer Question
My male was trying...

My male was trying to mate with our female I don't want babies so I picked them up the male had both of his back legs wrapped around the female.I noticed something hanging out of Elvis that looked like raw bloody meat.Elvis passed out and I was trying to wake him up.he finally came out of it just to call back into unconcousness.The second time he woke up but keeps wigging his back end on his rock.everything went back inside of him I cleaned blood off his vent and his leg.Help us this normal???????

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Bearded dragon

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dragon?

I already sent what happened did you get it?????

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dragon seem to hurt?

He tried to mate our female bearded dragon and I picked them up and he ha d his back legs around her and something was sticking out of his vent that was very bloody and looked like raw meat.Elvis passed out and I kept telling him to wake up ELvis then got stiff and I thought he died.I put him down for a second and the bloody part that was hanging out sent back inside him there was sperm plug sticking out.He keeps rubbing his backside on his rock.Will elvis be ok the vet is closed for Christmas until tuesday????

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dragon's name and age?

The name is ***** ***** he is two and a half years old and his first mating!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Elvis?

He has always been in good health and loves his food.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Reptile
Is Elvis going to be ok???????
IT has been an hour and 45 minutes since I sent the question and I am very nervous and scared for my Elvis please please let me know is he'll be ok
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/24/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 4 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Dragons over 40 years.

What you had seen was the Hemipenis that was exposed for bleeding. He was in the process of breeding when you pulled him off and I believe the pain caused him to blackout.. The rubbing on the rock most likey is marking territory.

I would get him into a warm soak of Pedialyte and warm water to help hydrate him and relax him.

Make and females should never be housed or kept near each other as a male Dragon will breed a femal to death. If he had penetrated your female you most likely will see eggs in the future. A Female can lay eggs without a male dragon being present, but I suspect if she lays, you will have fertile eggs. I would cinsider having a lay box available if needed fir your Female Dragon.

I would have Elvis checked out by a Herp Vet on Tues. The hemipenis retracted, which is a positive. You can use some Plain Ky Jelly over the Vent area to keep the area moist. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Thank you for getting back to me. I did not know what the bloody thing was.I did not pull them apart Elvis had his legs around Mila very tight I did it him in warm water but I don't have Pedialyte or my jelly.

That can be done tomorrow, If you have some Neosporing you can use a dab over the Vent. He was in process of breeding. He should actually be Brumating at this time of year.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I get a positive rating.

Joan

How is your Dragon doing today? Wanted to check in.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician