Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

Russian tortoise that suddenly stopped eating over the last…

Customer Question
Russian tortoise that suddenly...

Russian tortoise that suddenly stopped eating over the last week. Plays in food, knocks it everywhere, but then doesn't eat. He's indoors but we are in a cold climate.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the tortoise's name and age?

Jerry. We have had him for about 2.5 years.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jerry?

Likes to be out of his pen. Will climb the sides to get out. Lately, when he's out, he'll just end up in a corner or under a couch for hours.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/21/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 2 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40+ years.

Can you tell me about the enclosure for the tortoise?

UVB light, age, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Basking Spotlight?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps in Basking are and ambient temps?

Joan

Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist