Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

We have a panther chameleon that hasn’t opened his eyes for…

Customer Question
We have a panther...

We have a panther chameleon that hasn’t opened his eyes for a couple days, what could be wrong

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the panther?

He won’t open his eyes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the panther seem to hurt?

I have no idea, he just won’t open his eyes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No, other than his eyes being closed he looks normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. What is the panther's name?

Skittles

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Skittles?

His humidity has been hard to keep regulated so we went and bought him a nice glass tower home

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Reptile
12/19/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 2 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the enclosure?

UVB, Linear tube or compact coil, strength, age and brand?

Basking spotlight?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps in basking area/ ambient temp?

Do you have an auto mister?

Joan

We have a daylight uvb light and he use to be in the large size chameleon tower cage inclosure but we couldn’t keep his humidity levels stable, so we went to a store that specializes in reptiles and they recommended a glass tower closure which is actually larger than his previous imclosure.

The glass enclosure is not the best situation. Glass promotes fungal and Respiratory infections. The chameleon should b in the screened enclosure, but you need to add a fooger as well as an auto mister. those two items would help get your humidity up. Beside the UVB you also need a full spectrum basking light for warmth. UVB does not give warmth.

I suspect that your Chameleon may be a little dehydrated which can cause the eyes being closed and lack of activity. YOu can set up a shallow soak of 50/50 Pedialyte and warn water and soak 15 mins. Reptiles can absorb fluids through the skin and vent. When done with the soak rinse off and place back in the enclosure to get warm under the basking spotlight.

If he does not respond to the soak and the improved humidity system, I would have him into be checked out by a Herp Vet. With the Holiday rapidly approaching and the eyes being closed for several days, it is best to have him checked out. If you do not have a Herp Vet please let me know and I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a State.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician