Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

He isn't hibernating and he's alert when I handle him, but…

Customer Question
He isn't hibernating and...

He isn't hibernating and he's alert when I handle him, but spends all of his time buried in the mulch and doesn't eat. The temperature in his enclosure is closer to 60 now that it is winter even though I have a ceramic heat lamp on all the time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Russian Tortoise

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the tortoise's name?

Skippy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Skippy?

This is my first year with him, his previous owner had him for 2 years

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/17/2017
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 7 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come on line at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear that Skippy is having this trouble. I'm working on some information for you now and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Thank you for waiting. I suspect you got your information on care from a pet store, or perhaps from the previous owner, who on turn got it from a pet store. Unfortunately, such information is often wrong. It results in the deaths of thousands of reptile pets each year.At 60 degrees, Skippy is living in what is referred to as the “death zone” for tortoises. It’s too warm for hibernation, but not warm enough for normal activity. Tortoises kept in such chilly conditions usually end up getting sick and dying.Proper hibernation conditions for indoor tortoises are nearly impossible for most pet owners to maintain. The tortoise would need a special hibernation box; temps have to be steady and warmer than 32*, but cooler than 60*; humidity has to be just right and measured frequently. If any of these conditions are not right, the tortoise is likely to die.For that reason, it is far better to keep tortoises warm and prevent any attempts to hibernate. You’ll need to get an actual basking light for Skippy. The ambient temp range in his enclosure should be 75* to 85*, with the area right under the basking light at 95*. At night? The temp can be allowed to drop into the 70’s, but no lower. You can buy a basking light at most pet stores, or if you live near a farm store, you can buy a clip on light made to keep baby chicks warm for just a few dollars. Put a regular incandescent bulb on the fixture. Depending on the size of the enclosure, you may need more than one light fixture.Since Skippy hasn’t been eating, he is probably dehydrated. You can help with that by giving him a special soak. Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half Pedialyte and half water. Soak Skippy for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day until he begins eating again. Be sure to supervise closely.If warmth and soaks don’t result in normal activity and appetite, he may already be sick. In that case, he’ll need to be seen by a reptile vet.I want to give you some additional information, but my internet is not working properly. I had to borrow a phone with a different service provider to give you this much. I’ll give you more when service is restored, but warmth and the soaks are the crucial information you need right now. Let me know if you have additional questions. I’m glad to help.Anna