Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

We have a bearded dragon, about 6-7 yrs old and her fton…

Customer Question
We have a bearded...

We have a bearded dragon, about 6-7 yrs old and her fton legs are puffy and swollen from just behind the paw to the elbow joint.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dragon's name?

Spikes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spikes?

No. I don't think so. This has been quite a while like this. 6 months. She belongs to my son. He' tried to get answers before but no-one has come up with one.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
12/17/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40years.

Can you tell me about the tank set up?

Substrate?

UVB bulb, linear tube or compact coil, strength, age and brand?

Basking light?

Diet Veggies/prey?

Age?

Temp in basking area, ambient tep and cool side?

Joan

She is on a 40 gallon tank with mesh top. She has terracota tiles on the bottom - always had them, and there' some old wood sturctures for climbing on. She has a basking light and a UVB bulb, all working. Not exactly sure of brand/temp. She eats Dubya roaches bred by my husband (ugh) daily with calcium on them 1xper week. Vegetarian part of diet is leaves off a bush in the yard she likes and we sprinkle calcium on them, she's eaten them for years, and apple, carrot, banana too. Thye roaches are fed ground puppy chow, oranges off the tree in the yard.

Do you know how old the UVB bulb is and strength?

Do you feed leafy greens?

How old is she?

Joan

Joan, She is 7 yrs. UVB bulb is about 3-4 months old. She eats greens from the bush outside. Not sure what i is, but she's been eating it for years. She likes the young leaves. She also eats mustard greens, but she likes the ones from the bush better.
Her living conditions/diet have not really changed for years.

T, . One is Gout andhank you! I am very concerned becausee there are two conditions we can be looking at. There is a possibility of Gout or Metabolic Bone Disease. both are equally painful and hard on the Dragon. One is a result of not being able tomedtabolize the calcium into D3 in the body and the other is caused initially by an excess of uric acid in the blood.

In a case like this I have to advise some X rays and blood work to see what is going on. A Herp Vet can do the work up. I would be happy to get you a list of Herp Vets if you supply a State. If CA, please post North or South.

Joan

Thanks Joan. WE're in Los Angeles, 90066 zip code
We did take her to a vet a while back, but they were not vry reptile savvy and didn't really know.

The Vets I have are Reptile specialist. and not Dog/Cats Vets.

I will give you the lists.

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/calif.shtml

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califs.html

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive rating.

AS I said, thewhat you are describing needs to be examined hands on by a Vet who can recognize the problem and knows how to properly treat it.

Joan