Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My leopard gecko is less than a year old, and it looks like…

Customer Question
My leopard gecko is...

My leopard gecko is less than a year old, and it looks like she has had trouble passing stool. There is a long something hanging out of what appears to be its anus, and it's covered in sand because my gecko is dragging it around. I'll say 'he' because I've always referred to him that way, but we were never actually told if it is male or female. He is nipping at where the opeming would be and there is quite a bit of blood.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the leopard gecko's name?

Noki

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Noki?

Just that he (it) has been in the same diet since I've had him... live mealworms sprinkled with calcium and fresh water every day

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
12/16/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for 30+ years.

Please remove the sand and use paper towels. Sand is dedly. What you are seeing is a Prolapse. This will need to be treated by a Herp Vet. In the mean time I can give you some first aid measures. Please give a soak in some warm water to clear the sand. Next Please take a gauze pad or paper twoel and take some sugar and wet it into a paste and apply to the area. This may help it retract. Keep the sugar paste on as long as possible. when you do take it off rinse with sterile saline and apply some lubricating jelly like KY to the area to keep it moist. WE need to keep the tissues alive.

If you supply a State or Country I can locate some Herp Vets. In CA, please let me know Northern or Southern.

Joan

Hi Megan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan