He hasn't pooped in days and he ate a piece of over the weekend. He has eaten only one roach today but had about 20

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: he hasn't pooped in days and he ate a piece of wood over the weekend. He has eaten only one roach today but had about 20 worms yesterday. No other symptoms of impaction
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the roach will be able to digest that. What is the roach's name and age?
Customer: sorry, its a bearded dragon
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the roach?
Customer: it's a bearded dragon not a roach. he is not lethargic and hasn't changed colors and still seems as active as ever. he also just got a new habitat last week and has only pooped once before eating a wood chip
Answered by Jav917 in 14 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have beena Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

What type of substrate are you using?

Age of Dragon?

Diet Veggies/Prey?

Basking temp, ambient temp and cool side?

Joan

Customer
He is seven months old he eat super worms. The substrate is calcium sand he just got a new tank so his ambient temp is about 97 in there and he doesn’t really have a cool side yet. He also eats mixed greens turnip and collard. He doesn’t seem to have any other signs of being impacted and he did eat really well yesterday but we’re just worried about him not pooping

Get rid of the sand it is deadly. You need a solid substrate. Cage carpet, tile or paper towels. Calcisand tuns like concreate in the intestinal tract. Next issue is no meal worms or super worms. They are not digestible, too high in chitin, and over time can cause liver issues. Suggested in silk worms, dubia roaches, crickets or Phoenix worms. At this age he gets 80% live prey and 20% veggies. \To help him pass stool please feed a little baby food prunes and wait 45 mins and then give a nice warm bath and massage the abdomen. Soak for about 20 mins. This shouldpromote a stool. You can repeat this for several days until you get a stool.

It is very important for the health of the Dragon that you change the substrate and the diet. Over a year the diet will be 80% veggies and 20% live prey.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. The super worms and the calci sand can cause constipation and impaction over time.

Joan

Customer
If he doesn’t go in a few days when I have done all that should I take him to a vet?

At that point a Herp Vet would be needed. THey can take an Xray and prescribe medication to help.

If you do not have a Herp Vet please supply a State and I can locate some for you.

Joan

Customer
Thanks! I’m in California. San Bernardino area

These are Herp Vets

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/calif.shtml

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califs.html

If I have addressed you comcerns, please take a moment to rate my serbice 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I get a positive rating.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.