Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

It's rainy season this week because of a storm passing

Customer Question
It's rainy season this...

It's rainy season this week because of a storm passing through our area and so far there hasn't been any sun. And my two adult iguanas hasn't eaten yet for 4 days now. Rainy season so it's kinda cold...does that affect their appetite?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the iguana will be able to digest that. What is the iguana's name?

Drogo and Dracarys

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Drogo?

Aaide from the weather, he's a green iguana who is bright orange right now

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 1 day by:
12/16/2017
Reptile Expert: Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your reptile. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.
Dr. Adamski
absolutely decreased temperatures can cause a wide variety of problems in reptiles. As I’m sure you’re aware that everything about reptiles revolves around temperature. Abnormally low temperatures can both decrease their appetite and slow or stop digestion of food already present in the intestines. Furthermore, low temperatures can also make your iguana’s immune system function less effectively which can open it up to bacterial, fungal and viral infections. I would strongly recommend you maintain a minimum temperature of 70-75F/21-24C even at night for your iguana to prevent problems. You can use heat bulbs and heat pads as well as increasing the overall room temperature wherevtheir enclosure is. Ceramic heat bulbs work well for jugs as as they are less prone to breaking and last a long time. Just make sure the iguana does not have direct access to the surface of the bulb to prevent burns.Therefore, here are my recommendations:1. Maintain a minimum temperature of 70-75F/21-24C2. Soak your iguana daily in a shallow warm water bath for 30 minutes until appetite returns to normal. This soaking will prevent dehydration and prevent constipation.3. You can feed your iguana a vegetable based baby food by syringe once per day. You can add calcium powder mixed in to the baby food to prevent problems with low calcium.I would do these tasks daily for one week. If your iguana is still not eating or looks worse then I would recommend you see a local veterinarian who is experienced working with reptiles as there is probably a more serious problem present which will require veterinary care to resolve successfully.
The signs of a serious health problem you want to look for are:1. Constant heat seeking behavior
2. Decreased activity or movement that Lasts more than 24 hours.
3. Vomiting or diarrhea
4. Decreased appetite greater than one week even when the ambient room temperature is normal for your reptile.Dr. Adamski
Thank you so much! I will do them immediately! And I will tell you my feedback right after! Thank you again!
It was my pleasure to help you and your iguana. I wish you both all the best. Please provide me some feedback on how he is doing after a few days.Dr. Adamski
If you liked and appreciated my answers please rate my answer and click on the accept button so I can receive credit for my time and effort. It would be sincerely appreciated.Dr. Adamski
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian