Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I think my Russian tortoise may be dead. She's not moving. i…

Customer Question
I think my Russian...

I think my Russian tortoise may be dead

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the tortoise?

She's not moving. i pick her up and her legs just hang limp. one eye is open the other is closed

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the tortoise. What is the tortoise's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** I thin she's in her 30'3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Katya?

30's

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Reptile
12/14/2017
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 8 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come on line at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear your tortoise is likely to be dead. What you have described is typical of a dead tortoise. There is one more thing you can do to confirm whether she is dead. Squeeze a toe on her back foot. In a living tortoise, there will be a reflex motion of the leg. If that happens, let me know, and I'll tell you what to do next. If there is no reflex, I'm afraid Katya has passed away. I'm so sorry not to have better news.Anna