Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I have a bearded dragon that dug in the sand and had a piece…

Customer Question
I have a bearded...

I have a bearded dragon that dug in the sand and had a piece of driftwood fall on her head. It happened a few months ago, and her eye looked a little bruised, but I thought everything was OK. Within the past few days, her eye looks a little crunchy around the edges and today there is a clear discharge on her eye. I just ordered some reptile eye drops in case it is an eye infection. Is there anything else I can do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dragon can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dragon's name and age?

The dragons name is ***** ***** we have had her 2 years. She was 8 inches when we got her so she is probably 4 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Monique?

No, she has been very healthy other than getting her head squished by a piece of driftwood.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
12/14/2017
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 7 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of Monique's accident.Can you tell me the ingredients in the eye drops you ordered? Then I can tell you if there is better choice.Thank you.
I ordered Fluker's Repta Rinse Eye Rinse....contains; Distilled water, Propylene glycol, Glycerin, Benzalkonium chloride, and Sodium chloride. Thanks, Matt
Thank you for getting back to me, Matt. I apologize for the delay. I was just now notified that you had responded. I do know of a better option for you. I'll be right back with some information. I appreciate your patience.
Thank you for waiting. The eye drops you ordered will soothe the eye, but will not treat an eye infection. You need an antibiotic for that. Here is a reputable site with a suitable eye antibiotic for sale:http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Terramycin.htmlJust follow the instructions that will come with it. If the antibiotic doesn't help, the next step will be to see a reptile vet.Also be sure you aren't using a loose substrate, like sand or crushed walnut, on the cage floor. They can lead to eye irritation. A solid substrate, such as reptile carpet, ceramic tile, or paper towels is a better choice.Double check your temperatures to make sure they are optimal. That can support the immune system, so Monique's body can better try to heal itself. The area under the basking light should be 105*F to 110*F. The cool side should be 80*F to 85*F.If you have more concerns, just let me know. I hope the antibiotic will take care of the problem.Anna
If you end up needing a vet, this site has a directory of reptile vats:http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist