Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I have a 1 year old male red iguana. Recently I have noticed…

Customer Question
I have a 1 year...
I have a 1 year old male red iguana. Recently I have noticed right under his chin his dewlap has a swollen/spongy feel to it. It's not hard or lumpy and bone lining the dewlap appears to be not damaged. until today Raptor did not mind me touching his dewlap. Today he is starting to pull away. I have also noticed slight swelling in his front foot/wrist area. Does not seem to be bothering him. There is no old skin left around the area nor is there any discoloration. Toes and nails look normal as well. the v test v if v raptors body looks normal. He b us housed in a large screen cage. I must c several times a day, baths 1 to 3 times a wk, poop is normal, eats a variety of green leafy vegetables and mixed in is dry iguana cereal. Behavior is normal Please help my iguana means a lot to me . Candace
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Reptile
12/13/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 8 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the enclosure?

UVB bulb, age, strength, brand linear tube or compact coil?

Diet what tyle of greens?

Supplements?

Is it the dewlap or the throat area swollen?

Joan

He's 1 years old and is in a 5 ft screened enclosure, plenty of trees and places to climb. I am working on building a better cage since I know the screen does not hold heat.The cage has a basking light.I also do have a large uva and uvb light on top of the cage. I will say my heater in my house went out a week ago and should be fixed this week. It's been much colder in my house than usual. I have resulted in having to use a space heater to keep the area around the cage warmer.I have not been giving supplements. I give a variety of leafy lettuces such as kale, broccoli leaves spinach leaves etc.i buy a mixture of lettuces. Never iceberg or romaine. I do add in a small amount of iguana cereal. I buy dried vegetables and fruit that u add water to. He likes that. I also buy fresh vegetables. Carrots, peas, broccoli so on. I do not give to much fruit. I mist the cage several times a day and spray him as well.i give him a bath 1 to 3 times a week. He seems to really enjoy it. I noticed the swelling about a week ago. Since he is a male I thought at first it was normal since they tend to be more fatty around that area. The swelling is at the top middle of the dewlap. Right around where the top of that small bone is. today is the first day it seems to be sensitive if I touch it. he typically likes me to massage that area. but now he pulls away.You can't tell it's swollen/spongy by looking at it. Only by feeling it. I noticed his right hand/wrist looks a bit swollen and slight swelling near his vent. Vent could b normal since he's getting older. It doesn't look too concerning, just def bigger looking. Raptor never sleeps during the day in his cage but today he sat on my chest and slept all day. Could be because it's cold and I was very warm. Sorry the text is so long. I just don't want anything to happen to him! I appreciate your quick response. Thank you

Let me get a little information on the light you are using for UVB. Is it a Mercury Vapor bulb?

Is it a linear tube or compact coil?

Age , brand, and strength?

This is very important as I think I know what is happening, but I need that information.

Joan