Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My slider is not eating also. Looks like he has a reddish…

Customer Question
My slider is not...

My slider is not eating also. Looks like he has a reddish area around the top neck area at the back of head, like irrigation or raw skin. He’s just laying on floating dock with eyes closed and legs all tucked in.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your slider. What is the slider's name and age?

My boys named him ton ton

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Ton?

Maybe 2, not sure. He’s the smallest of the 3 we have. About 3 inches round

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ton?

He stop eating for almost a week

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Reptile
12/12/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 2 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

The red you are describing could be septicemia which is a systemic infection in the body.

With the turtle this ill, he needs to be seen by a Herp Vet for treatment. I can locate Herp Vet with a State. He will need Antibiotics prescribed by the Herp Vet. In a case like this you can clean the area with some Betadine diluted with warm water and apply some Neosporin. The problem is that the infection is internal as well as the area you can see.

I can locate some Herp Vets for you with a State. If California, please say if No or So.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician