Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My leopard gecko has mouth rot, he is quite old. He has

Customer Question
My leopard gecko has...

My leopard gecko has mouth rot, he is quite old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your leopard gecko?

He has mouth rot

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your leopard gecko seem to hurt?

Left side of his face under his eye, it is swollen and red

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the leopard gecko's name and age?

About 9 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the leopard gecko's name?

Maximus is his name

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maximus?

No he has been fine up until now

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
12/8/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

If the problem is mouth rot Maximus will need to see a Herp Vet for an Antibiotic and cleaning the plaque that has caused it. In the mean time you can help Maximus, by taking some Betadine and Dilute to a tea color and clean the Gums with a Q Tip. This will help clen the gums and anything lodged in the gums. Generally Chitin from the feeder can lodge in between the gums and the teeth cause the infection and the mouth rot, For feeding Mix some chicken baby food with a pinch of calcium and drop on the snout and see if he will lick it off. Eating prey is usually painful to a Reptile with Mouth rot so the food food keep them eating.

If you do not have a HerpVet I can locate some for you with a State or Country. Please hit reply to discuss this information and for your concerns.

Joan

How is Maximus doing?

Joan