Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My wife and I have a Russian tortoise we bought Septmeber…

Customer Question
Hi Anna,My wife and I...
Hi Anna,My wife and I have a Russian tortoise we bought Septmeber 1st 2017. He has been happy and healthy, eating normal and pooping and peeing as well. He has a tank with mulch, half log he sleeps under, a rocky area where he eats. Two lamps one for day time, one for night time, also he is kept at 80 degrees, right now at 90.He has not been feeling well for the past few days. Has not eaten anything for two days. His eyes have occasional bubbles, eye lids a bit swollen and he sometimes rubs his eyes, especially when we give him food. Overall, quite low energy and sleeping much more than before.We took him to the vet (not sure if he is reptile certified) he looked and said that there isn't much wrong with him. He took xrays and also said there is nothing out of ordinary.
He gave him a shot of some vitamins and asked us if we wanted to do the antibiotics as well. We decided not to do it the same day but came back the following day to do the antibiotics.
We give him baths and his diet consists of leafy greens like kale, romaine lettuce, peppers, string beans are one of his favorite.
Occasionally we give him strawberry, but have not done that in a while.Could you please advise us on what should we do to make him feel better? Is it normal for him to put his head under the water when he takes a bath?Thank you for your help Anna!Best Regards,Alex.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
12/6/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

Anna is away for a few days. My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years. Would you like me to assist you? Id so I will come back with some questions.

Joan

please.

Do you have him in a tank a rubbermade or a Tortoise table?

Do you have a UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, age and brand?

Basking spotlight?

What other veggies do you give beside Kale and Romaine?

Do you give and grss hay and weed?

Supplements?

Has the weather changed where you live?

How old is Mitya?

Do you know what the Vet gave as far as Vitamins and Antibiotoc?

Did they send any medications home to give?

Joan

We keep him in a special glass terrarium.
UVB light is Exo Terra, 4 months, strength 100. Basking spotlight 12-14 hours daily.
String beans, peppers, dandelion greens, he ate dandelion flowers in September. He ate carrots as well.
Tried giving him hay, he refused to eat it.
Calcium spray 1 a week from Zilla.Weather is getting much colder. New York.Mitya is approximately 9 years old. As far as i counted by his shell.The vet gave eye drops, one drop 3 times a day. Gentamicin sulfate 0.3%.He has a special eco carpet on the bottom of the terrarium. The filling is Repti Bark and a bit of hay.

I suspect the Bulb you were sold is not a UVB light. Tortoises need UVB for their health and to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. The UVB works with a calcium supplement that should be given 5 day s a week or have a calcium block/cuttlebone available at all times. I suggest a Reptisun UVB bulb linear tube. They do need to be replaced every 6 months. Russian tortoises should not be kept in a tank they do much better in a Tortoise table, Glass tanks promote Respiratory issues and fungal infections. The bedding you are using is not great either. Russian Tortoises need a substrate the can di in and holds moisture. THe typiical substrate is a mixture of play sand and coconut Coir.

This is some images for a Russian tortoise table: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/167055467405116132/?lp=true

The UVB bulb will help with Activity level and appetite.

The eye lids being swiollen can be a result of a Vitamin A deficiency. This is a diet for your Tortoise:

https://www.russiantortoise.org/russiantortoisediet.htm

The Pet shops sell an eye drop for Vitamin A, that may hep with the puffy lids.

I would update the enclosure to a tortoise table

Update the substrate

Get a Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb Linear tube

Update the diet

Make sure calcium block/cuttle bone is available

This is a good care sheet that goes over what I have suggested. I believe the changes will help with

Mitya and make him feel better. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan