Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

We have a 6 month old Mississippi map turtle who lives in a…

Customer Question
We have a 6...

We have a 6 month old Mississippi map turtle who lives in a 60 gallon tank. He is most active of the 6 in there. Funniest and most outgoing of the 6. Tonight we found him on bottom on the 8" of water. Picked him up he was completely limp with both eyes open. Jusy in case, we put him in a dish under their uvb and red heat lamp. He's still cold and limp. A week ago we had him at vet for an ear abscess which was removed and seemingly did not phase him. Gabe him antibiotic injections at home over past week too. He seems find until he was found tonight. I'm guessing he's passed away, but no rigor yet. Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the turtle?

No other than both eyes are still wide open. No response to any stimulation.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
12/6/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

I am afraid you are correct, it sounds like the turtle has passed. Rigor in cold blooded animals takes a lot longer. All you have mentioned is common in a turtle that has passed. The fact limbs were outstreched and eyes open confirms the suspicions.

I am so sorry for the loss.

Please hit reply to discuss this information or your concerns. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive rating.

My condolences on the loss of you turtle.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan