Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Her back legs are going in and out but she can barely use…

Customer Question
Her back legs are...

Her back legs are going in and out but she can barely use them, she seems ok but can't move them 100%

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Veiled chameleon

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the chameleon. What is the chameleon's name?

Lupita

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lupita?

My mom went to grab her to clean her cage and she hissed at her which is rare, than after my mom returned and found here on the ground of the cage dragging herself

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Reptile
12/4/2017
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 6 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of Lupita's problem. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.What brand of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?How often does she receive a calcium supplement?Has she been passing normal droppings?
What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?Thank you.
The bulb brand is aqua culture daylight bulb 75 watt and she's been receiving calcium but she hasn't been eating as much as she use to and her droppings are normal. She also has a cool side of the cage but the average temperature is 70-71
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Ok and Tnx again
Thank you for waiting. I suspect you got your information from a pet store. Most people do, and while we should be able to rely on such information, unfortunately, we can't. They give out wrong information on temperature and lighting. Many reptile pets die because of that information. Much of what you have been told us wrong, and I suspect that is why Lupita is having trouble.The bulb you have gives out no UVB at all. Without UVB rays, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) develops. That is the most common cause of back leg weakness or paralysis. You need to get a real UVB light as soon as possible. I recommend the Reptisun 10.0. If you choose another brand, read the label to make sure it provides UVB. Full spectrum, day
Iight, UV, UVC, and Sun light are not the same thing. Most Petcos and PetSmarts sell the Reptisun 10.0.I'll give you this much to read while I type more.
The next problem is that your temperatures are freezing cold for a chameleon. The coldest part of the cage should be 82.5*F. Right under the basking light, it should be 89* to 113*. At night, the temperatures can be allowed to drop into the 70's. You can increase the temperature by lowering the bulb (but not so low Lupita can be burned by it), using a higher wattage bulb, or by adding a second heat bulb. Be sure to use a good digital prove thermometer to measure the temps accurately. Both the heat light and the UVB should be on for 12 to 14 hours per day.I'll be right back with a first aid measure.
Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half Pedialyte and half water. Add a big scoop of calcium powder and mix it in well. Soak Lupita for 20-30 minutes twice a day. Lizards can absorb nutrients and fluids through their skin and vents( where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.MBD can be reversed with proper lighting, calcium, and warmth, but it takes time. Chameleons are among the most delicate of reptiles, so when they get sick, it is usually best to see a reptile vet. But that is your choice.
Ok shes already doing better I'm going to get the pedialyte but I think it's the bulb because we switched the brand yesterday and that's when this all started
MBD takes weeks to months to develop, so this didn't happen over night. I suspect your old bulb wasn't UVB either. If you'll give me the brand, I can tell you. Also UVB bulbs are only good for 6 months. After that, they continue to give off visible light, but no UVB. If you decide to see a vet, this site has a directory of them:http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlistIf you have more questions, just let me know, I'm glad to help. I hope Lupita will reach a full recovery.Anna
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna

Hello again,

How is Lupita doing? I hope she is better. If you need more information, please let me know.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist