Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My turtles eye is scratched. She won't open the one side and…

Customer Question
My turtles eye is...

My turtles eye is scratched. She won't open the one side and the other one is closed with a scan like looking this over it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the turtle's name and age?

Dozed and 4 years ols

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dozed?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
The last time this happened they gave her gentamicin sulfate, but it's too cold right now to bring her to the vets office. Is there anything I can give her that's over the counter
12/3/2017
Reptile Expert: Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your reptile. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.
Dr. Adamski
I’m terribly sorry to hear that your turtle suffered an injury. Fortunately, these problems are relatively common and should not pose any long-term threat to your pet.Here are my recommendations:1. First and foremost I would recommend your turtle be seen by a local veterinarian who is experienced working with reptiles. Eye injuries can become serious problems very quickly which can result in blindness or even loss of the eye. I will provide you with information and advice to stabilize your turtle until it can be seen by your local veterinarian. Please note that even if it is cold out you can take measures to keep your turtle warm during the transport by running the heat on high in your car while transporting your reptile and providing a heat pad, hot water bottle or even disposable hand warmer packets wrapped in a towel so you can transport your turtle safely in an insulated plastic container.2. You will need to prevent the wound from becoming infected until it heals. This involves two steps.A. Please dry dock him until you can have your turtle seen by a local veterinarian. You can place him in a plastic container padded with towels to keep him safe, warm and dry which is the best environment for an eye wound to heal.Please soak him daily in clean luke warm or bathtub temperature water for 30 minutes daily so your turtle doesn’t get dehydrated.B. Clean the wound daily after his soak by applying a saline eye wash or irrigation solution 3-4 times per day to the injured eye for up to two weeks. This will help prevent an infection until the injury starts to heal.3. Here’s what you need to look for in case the wound becomes infected and your turtle needs to be seen by your local veterinarian. Look for redness, swelling or any sort of discharge from the eye. This indicates an infection is present despite our best efforts and you will need to have your pet seen by a veterinarian to prescribe a systemic antibiotic to deal with the active infection.4. Please keep the temperatures in your enclosure between 75F/24C on the cold side and 100F/38C on the hot side. This will help your reptile’s immune system fight off any infection.I hope that has provided some information for you. I would recommend you visit a veterinarian experienced working with reptiles. You can locate a local veterinarian in your area by going to the following link which lists vets by state or province.http://members.arav.org/search/custom.asp?id=3661I hope this helps. If you have further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your turtle all the best.Dr. Adamski