Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I am not sure if you can help me with this question but I…

Customer Question
Hi I am not sure...
Hi I am not sure if you can help me with this question but I have A Tortoise (Sage) He/She is 3 Years old but I have recently had a Worm egg count done and it come back with Balantidium (Protozoa) and I took the Tortoise to my local vets and they prescribed me Panacure 10% and metronidazole I did it according to what the vet told me. But once the coerce of treatment had finished I got another egg worm count down hoping it had cured the Balantidium (Protozoa) but in fact it was worse as the first sample I had done said 200 per gram and the one I just had done now says its in the 300’s per gram. I was wondering what else I can do or try to help as I really would like to hibernate my Tortoise this year as I did it last year as it worries me that if I do the Balantidium (Protozoa) might grow and kill them. Thank you and hope you can help
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/2/2017
Reptile Expert: Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your reptile. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.
Dr. Adamski
1. How many times did you administer metronidazole?2. And what was the dose you used to deworm your tortoise?3. If you can take a picture of the prescription label that would also prove helpful.Please answer the questions I have asked as they will help me provide the most accurate and useful advice for you. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Hi thank you for replying to my reptile question i cant send a photo to you but this what the labels say on the bottles 3X PANACURE 10%100ML(DOSAGE) GIVE 1.2ML AND REPEAT ON DAY 10 and 5X METRONIDAZOLE SUSP200MG/5ML 100ML ++ 18 GIVE 1.2ML ONCE DAILY EVERY 48HRS FOR 8 DAYSHope that helps
Thank you very much for that information. It was indeed helpful.I have two final questions for you before I send my advice and recommendations.1. What does your tortoise weigh?2. Is your tortoise showing any abnormal signs such as weight loss, diarrhea or not eating well for example? Or is it otherwise healthy?Cheers. 😊Dr. Adamski
hi weight is 2.4kg no he is not showing any abnormal signs in weight loss or diarrhea he has slowed up a lot on eating otherwise he is healthy. I do bath him in warm water
By The way i live in the UNITED KINGDOM
Here are my recommendations for your tortoise:1. First, allow me to provide you with some background information on the Balantidium Protozoa you are dealing with so you can make an informed decision. Many herpetologists view Balantidium as normal or commensal gut flora or micro-organisms. Protozoa such as these help reptiles digest cellulose. They are responsible for helping your tortoise digest and absorb the food it consumes. However, they can cause health problems such as diarrhea or inappetance if they multiply excessively and cause a dysbiosis or abnormal population of micro-organisms in the intestines.2. You have two options as to how to proceed with the information at hand and dealing with your tortoise over the winter season.First, based on the information you provided your tortoise otherwise seems healthy save for a decreased appetite. You could potentially attribute that to the decreased day/night light cycle and decreased temperatures due to the winter season which is normal for reptiles. Under the supervision of your local veterinarian you could proceed to Brumate your pet tortoise.Alternatively, you could be extra cautious and interpret the data to say that you have an overgrowth of Balantidium which is not normal or healthy and thus is responsible for the decreased appetite. In this case I would recommend you treat your tortoise. The first-line medication of choice to treat most protozoan infections is metronidazole. I would recommend you utilize the following dosing regimen:Metronidazole - 100mg/kg by mouth once and then repeat in two weeks. The repeat dose and the dosing interval of two weeks are important to totally eradicate the problem. This is due to the lifecycle of most Protozoa and the eggs/cysts. We cannot kill the eggs/cysts so we need to let them hatch and then kill them.Finally, you will need to thoroughly clean your pet’s enclosure after you administer the medication. This will remove any remaining eggs or cysts which are present in the feces or contaminated surfaces. I recommend scrubbing the enclosure with warm soap water first then disinfect with a dilute bleach solution (1:10 dilution) or nine parts water to one part household bleach. Allow the bleach solution to sit for ten minutes. Rinse the enclosure thoroughly with water before you finish.The ultimate decision will have to be a judgement call made by you and your local veterinarian. Your local veterinarian has examined your pet and knows the case the best. I would recommend you follow their guidance. The original treatment plan was appropriate. There are many different treatment plans and regimens that accomplish the same goal. I base my recommendations on treatment regimens I personally have had decent success with in the past. I hope you find this information both practical and useful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.Dr. Adamski
Hi Thank you for the reply I see you say about cleaning his enclosure out i was wondering once i clean/disinfect his enclosure will this product help do a fog clean F10 Disinfectant Aerosol Fogger. Can i use soft wood shavings non dusty ones as his substrate. When i treated him last with Panacure and Metronidazole i could not directly get it in his mouth so i got some dried pellet food and let the medication soak in to the dry pellet food and he did eat it well. Thank you Again
My recommendation is that you use paper towels or newspaper bedding if you are going to treat for the Protozoa. Parasites tend to hide in wood shavings/chips better and it is very tough to disinfect them. In addition, the F10 digger will help but old fashioned cleaning of the enclosure as I directed with warm soapy water and then the dilute bleach solution works best as it physically removes eggs/cysts and any fecal residue which parasites can hide in from the disinfectants such as the F10. Finally, since the dosing regimen I provided is only two doses I would suggest you have your veterinarian administer the medication by tubing your tortoise to ensure it gets the whole correct dose. Underdosing parasite medication can lead to drug resistance problems and your tortoise not getting better. I suspect that may have played a role in why the first treatment was not totally effective. I hope that answers your questions.Dr. Adamski
F10 fogger not digger :P
If you liked and appreciated my answers please rate my answer and click on the accept button so I can receive credit for my time and effort. It would be sincerely appreciated.Dr. Adamski